Saturday, 11 November 2017

A lovely day.


Yesterday was my birthday, a milestone birthday. I am now 50.


Gosh those years soon went by.

So this is how my birthday started with my favourite vanilla cream doughnut from Greggs. We didn't have breakfast we had cakes and coffee at 10 am. 



After the cake and coffee it was time for cards and gifts.

I received some lovely gifts.


A lovely calendar, what a great idea a calendar with no date and days written in so you can use it for whatever year you wish.




Some lovely writing paper. 



A beautiful bird calendar.




A Robin tea caddy.



Looking forward to trying this.



Perfect for chilly winter nights.




I am not a fan of blue and white china like the willow pattern for example, but I really do like this indigo blue with gold it works really well. I really do love this teapot, so pretty. I shall test it out later.







A copper biscuit cutter. I have started collecting copper cutters now.



These honey soaps smell simply divine, I really love them.



Aren't they pretty.
I am looking forward to using these, I shall pop them in my clothes drawers as I do with all soap now to fragrance my clothes before I actually use them.





I few nice things to consume.





I also had some money which I might use to buy a new coat.


Then it was off to Bourton-on-the-Water, a pretty little village in the Cotswolds, about half an hour from home. We have been here three times before, but it is such a lovely place. Before we went around the village, we went to Birdland.






These penguins were such adorable characters.








Such beautiful iridescent plummage.




The Kookaburra.




There was also a nature trail and Jurassic World, which I can imagine to be great fun for little ones.






Beautiful Snowy Owls.









These are Frogmouth Owls, I can see why they are named that.





So after Birdland it was time to have a stroll around the village, although the sun was out there was a real biting wind, so before we went too far hot drinks were in order.

I chose to have a fruit scone with butter, my husband had a really tasty looking cheese and ham croissant, so we decided to share, half a croissant and half a scone each. Very nice it was to.



So now all refreshed we went for a stroll.








Look at those lovely grapes.

There were a group of Japanese tourists and they were so exciting by seeing this grapes hanging from a house. The cameras were busy clicking away.








So after Bourton we went back for a stroll around Burford Garden Company.
So much more than your average garden centre, but such a pretty penny is needed to shop in here.







Panetonne anyone? Only £69.......





Lovely meringues.







We finished off with a meal at the Hungry Horse pub chain. I had a steak sizzler - mixed peppers with onions topped with a steak covered in mushrooms and cheese with a little peppercorn sauce. Followed by an ice cream dessert which I shared with my husband. It was an extra large sharing one.




It was a really lovely day.

47 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and you certainly had a lovely day. How nice to receive such thoughtful gifts. We like visiting the Cotswolds and Bourton is a favourite to visit including the garden centre. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes it is a lovely area isn't it.

      Delete
  2. A very Happy Birthday Marlene! You enjoyed a lovely day out and the gifts you received are beautiful. X ๐ŸŽ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww belated happy wishes for your 50th Marlene.
    So glad you had a lovely day out to celebrate it.....and some beautiful gifts too. I adore the Wrendale Designs by Hannah Dale and have something from that collection on my Christmas wish list.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelia, Wrendale is lovely isn't it. xx

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had an absolutely wonderful day, happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday Marlene!
    What a lovely way to spend your birthday. I love your tea caddy and tea pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I used the tea pot this afternoon.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday, looks like a cracking day, and lots of gorgeous gifts.

    There's a garden centre near my brother like the one you visited, he calls it 'the fifty pound shop'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou.
      Nice to look at but not in our budget.

      Delete
  7. Happy, happy birthday! It looks like you had an amazing day. So many beautiful gifts, I especially liked the dateless calendar, teapot and soap. Birdland looks very interesting and the garden centre looks like it has some beautiful things, but the prices-my goodness!! What a fabulous meal to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou kindly Janice, I had a lovely day and lovely gifts.

      Delete
    2. great birthday stash!!! It looks like it was a lovely day. And being fifty? Actually the fifties are a great time. Lots of experiences to look forward to.

      Delete
  8. Sounds delightful. A very Happy Birthday to you and Many Happy Returns.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday, so glad you had a nice day. November is a busy month for birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes I have noticed a lot of bloggers have had birthdays this month.

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ€!
    You've received some gorgeous gifts and your day out looks perfect. (The price of that Pannetone though!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Yes it was pricey wasn't it, but the people who where in there some of them were extremely posh or well off, wouldn't have batted an eyelid at that price.

      Delete
  11. Happy birthday! What lovely ways to celebrate your birthday day. May the days that follow be happy ones too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A belated happy birthday Marlene. It looks like you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy, happy birthday. It looks like you had a wonderful day, beautiful presents and a marvellous day out. I have the same birthday coming up in February, the years have gone whoosh xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Cheryl, the years have just gone haven't they. xx

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday again. X your gifts are lovely and thanks for sharing your day with your lovely photos. I love the frog mouth owls! Also the gorgeous shops in the pretty little village too! Why only buy one panettone? Get two!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Rachel, There were some people shopping in there who could have afforded a truck load of the panettone.x

      Delete
  15. I'm pleased you celebrated in such style! Happy Birthday
    I am smitten with the Victorian Christmas Shop, and you know what's coming next ~ those pumpkin tureens!

    I turned 60 last week, quietly, and the first time ever I've not celebrated a birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Deborah, I love the Victorian Christmas shop, yes I thought you might like those pumpkin tureens. Belated birthday wishes to you. x

      Delete
  16. Happy birthday Marlene, what a lovely day you had. The food looks delicious and once again your photos are fantastic. I'm pleased you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Tania, yes it was a great day. x

      Delete
  17. Hello. I just discovered your lovely blog. What a wonderful day you had celebrating your birthday. I loved seeing all the beautiful photos. Sending you belated birthday greetings from southern California. Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much for stopping by and for the birthday wishes Pat.

      Delete
  18. Oh, what a lovely birthday, Marlene! But oh, I did laugh at those Frogmouth Owls! Never have I seen owls quite like that! What wonderful presents, a great outing to Birdland and a good meal, plus lovely shops to see - a perfect day! Mega birthday greetings!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou kindly Margaret, the Frogmouth owls where very strange, it was lovely to see a variety of birds some which I never even heard of before.

      Delete
  19. What a lovely way to spend your birthday. The bird pictures are lovely. So many different species gathered together in one place to enjoy.

    Happy birthday a bit late.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That sounds like my kind of day... and food. Glad you had a lovely birthday and a lovely day out. It is good to mark a milestone occasion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Cherie, it was a nice and relaxing.

      Delete
  21. Belated happy birthday.Burton on the Water is such a lovely place to visit, so glad you had a nice birthday,the dessert looks yummy x

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.