Monday, 16 October 2017

Weird Weather & Watching the Birdies


The weather has been very weird today, this morning it went really dark but the sun was looking really red, all to do with Ophelia apparently.




 Some pictures of the garden birds.













I have had a few emails asking me how our aviary birds are doing, here are some photos I have taken over the last few days, sorry if some are a bit misty/blurry looking, my camera has been misbehaving a bit.

My favourite boy Jim the Bourke, he now says pretty boy.




The doves are funny they like to nestle down on the ground to sunbathe.

At night time when it is time for them to go in the roosting box the bourkes go in on their own, the doves have to sometimes be ushered in, but this little one lets me put her on my finger.









A few weeks after we got them, the finches tried to make nests in the roosting box, so my husband made some nest boxes, we do not usually let birds breed in the winter, we have never had finches before but followed the advice of an expert who says they will happily breed all year, they are very hardy little birds. So we have three nest boxes and 2 pairs have finished laying and 1 pair has just started, so at the moment we have around 17 eggs. Fingers crossed they hatch successfully, if they do I shall post a little video of the young.


You can see this little one keeping an eye on me.


I shall leave you with a short video, unedited.


18 comments:

  1. What beautiful birds you have it was a joy to watch the video. Amazing that they have laid so many eggs all ready, hope all goes well with them. The weather has been strange all day here too, but the wind has now got up and the rain is battering the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain here the wind was perfect for the washing. Yes it will be lovely to have some babies, we won't keep them though, I mustn't get attached.

      Delete
  2. Fingers crossed for the eggs. Very exciting. The sky was a very strange colour here this morning. The wind has picked up now. I think we're in for a rough night. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, I hope they do well. The wind is very fierce here as well, a rough night for us all I think. xx

      Delete
  3. Simply beautiful birds!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
  4. A weird old day here too....very mizzly first thing with dark cloud cover, grey and yellowish cloudy sky which then broke and gave us bright sunshine for a while and back to thick grey and yellow cloud.
    I thought it would surely throw it down but no rain so far.
    The wind is on and off and nothing like I was expecting.

    The birds are just beautiful.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was strange weather, all back to normal today.
      Glad you like the photos xx

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos of your birds. I just love bird song in the mornings and evenings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Jackie I go out and sit and listen, it's bliss.

      Delete
  6. Lovely photos of the birds, I see you have baby goldfinches too :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes the baby ones are in all the time.

      Delete
  7. You have such a beautiful birds visiting you and sharing your garden. Lovely photos! I love the different colours of the plumage in all of your feathered friends. Today, it is raining here but I can still here the twitter of birds outside, I think it would be too quiet without their songs. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Meg, you are right it would be quiet without birds around, I love listening to them, I am quite good at identifying them by their song now.

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.