Saturday, 24 June 2017

A Simple Seed Cake




After doing a cook book declutter in the week I decided I would look through some books to try a new recipe, as I fancied some cake. So I decided to make seed cake.



Seed Cake


Ingredients


8oz Self Raising Flour
6oz Butter, softened
6oz Caster Sugar
3 eggs - separated
40ml Milk
1 heaped tsp Caraway Seeds ( + a pinch extra for sprinkling later)
4 drops of Almond Essence


Preheat the oven to 190 fan or equivalent. 
Cream the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy.
In another bowl whisk the egg whites and then beat in the egg yolks.


Picture 1 egg whites - Picture 2 with the egg yolks beaten in
Gradually mix the eggs into the butter and sugar. 

Stir in the caraway seeds, then fold in the flour and stir in the almond essence. 
Mix in the milk, you will end up with a very thick batter.


How sweet is this little jug.


Put in a tin and sprinkle a pinch of caraway seeds over the top.



Bake for around an hour or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.




I wasn't sure at first how it would taste as I was a bit sceptical about using caraway seeds in a cake, but I have to say it was alright, there was just a slight delicate taste of the seeds,  I would describe it as a plain and simple cake. As with all cake around here it went down well, sometimes its nice instead of a really sweet cake to have something a little more simpler.

24 comments:

  1. I can remember my first taste of carawayseed cake as a child. I'm afraid I didn't like it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Seed Cake. It is very popular in Wales, but recipes date back to the 1500's in general! It was a treat when I visited Cnapan for afternoon tea where the Seed Cake had a delicious {not traditional} orange glaze. Oh, so devilishly good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know back in the day it was a treat, I don't mind it for a change when I don't want anything to sweet, I think a glaze would be good.

      Delete
  3. Loved the little jug and the look of the cake. I haven't any caraway seeds or I would have tried it out for our Sunday tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are other seeds you can use in cake I shall have to look into it.

      Delete
  4. It sounds nice.
    One of my favourite cakes is lemon and poppy seed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love caraway seed cake...yum, yum-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had caraway seeds in the kitchen for some time now, it was the first time they had been used. x

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of the taste of caraway but I do enjoy experimenting with a basic cake mix and adding different items to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people aren't but it was very subtle.

      Delete
  7. Gosh you've reminded me that I used to make this years ago when my children were small. It was always eaten up pretty fast! I love your little jug x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, ah memories. I love the jug it is so cute and useful x

      Delete
  8. The only cake I'm not keen on is seed cake, although I'm sure that if you like caraway seeds, the cake is absolutely lovely. I love your little jug!!!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have different tastes, it's not for everyone, I wasn't sure if I would like it.

      Delete
  9. I love your little jug, never seen one like it before. Cake sounds nice, as you say, nice to have something not too sweet sometimes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl I got it from a Debby shopping outlet, I think you can get them on eBay as well, xx

      Delete
  10. Loving the sound of the cake ingredients, YUM. Hubby calls me a Lilliputian because I love all things small, so I absolutely love your jug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see, it is really sweet isn't it, I was out looking for saucepans, and I spotted it on the counter,and it had to come home with me.


      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing a great recipe. I have guests coming next week and I plan to make this. I love your blog. Pat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I've just found your blog :) Looking forward to reading some 'back issues' with a cup of tea later :) G:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gillie, that's great, I am doing the same with your blog, I think I did follow you once but stopped because you disappeared for a while, enjoying reading your posts.

      Delete