Friday, 12 May 2017

Time Management



I used to hear people say they were busier than ever since they retired and I can say that is certainly true for us, well my husband is retired and I no longer work and we are at home all day, but we are both busy all day long.

I keep thinking I need to get more organised so I can have more "me time". 

Here are some of the things I do to manage my time and save time.












1.   Try not to spend to much time on the internet before you know it the morning 
       or afternoon is just gone and I think well I haven't done anything yet.

           


2.   Do less laundry - no need to just throw everything in the wash at the end of the 
      day if it looks clean and smells clean it will do another day apart from under wear  
      of course.

3.   Avoid ironing - we dress in easy care casual clothes at home which rarely needs   
      to be ironed, I just tend to iron my sons shirts and trousers for uni, the rest of it 
      just gets a good shake and folded up.

4.   Plan meals a few days in advance - I tend to work out what meals I am going to 
      cook after a yellow sticker shop or if yellow stickers are sparse plan from what 
      is in the freezer and cupboards, I am not one to just open the fridge and say what 
      am I going to make tonight, I want to be prepared.

5.   After the four door  fridge freezer went wrong here we were given a three drawer 
      one  so I can't really do that much batch cooking, but when I am cooking I do try  
      to double up and make an extra one for the freezer.

6.   My husband takes my son to Uni with the car so if we have any other jobs to do, 
      like taking parcels to the shop or going to the supermarket, etc we combine trips 
      saving time and diesel.

7.   I don't have a set cleaning routine, it saves time to tidy as you go and  I  just do a 
      few little extra jobs each day.

8.   I like to cook but I have got to the stage in my life where I don't want to spend 
      hours cooking, so I choose simple, healthy quick to prepare meals, and if I want    
      to bake I will do it whilst waiting for the tea to cook and this saves us on electric
      if the oven is already on, I like to get my moneys worth.

9.   I love gardening but would rather sit and relax in it then spending time planting 
      and planning,  so the garden has many perennials and we just add a few annuals 
      to fill in the gaps.



      So over to you, do you have any good time saving tips?


            









     

20 comments:

  1. Love all your tips, I do much the same. But if we save time, we just end up filling it with something else, some other job, usually, rather than just sitting and reading, or listening to music, or the birds sing. If we save time, or think we do, we must make a conscious effort to use that saved time effectively. I tend to fitter away time on the internet, too!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, but we should make more time to relax, the internet is very addictive.

      Delete
  2. I love cooking and am good at planning what we are going to eat rather than just deciding at the time. I cook in bulk sometimes but too often I have just one dish in the oven. I need to work harder at making my oven work for me. Eloise at thisissixty.blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eloise thanks for stopping by, yes it is good to be prepared isn't it, I will just stick a try of biscuits in or something just to save the electric.

      Delete
  3. Some good advice there Marlene.
    I pretty much try to get everything done in the morning so that I have the afternoons free to sew.
    The internet is my biggest time stealer and I do need to man up and switch the computer off completely and put it away for a while-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good plan you have there x

      Delete
  4. I could do with taking on board most of these tips. A lot of my cooking is one pot dishes which I find easier and less time consuming. I have been outdoors most of this week so that has definitely saved time on housework. The trouble is it's still there waiting for me! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good Jules, yes I love the slow cooker as well, it is nice that you are making the most of the nice weather xx

      Delete
  5. My only tip isn't for everyone, but something I have had to be strict with. When I switch off the phone then go back on and look at The Gram, I scroll down to see what I've missed. Which is stupid! So I've stopped doing that. If I miss a photo I miss a photo.

    All your tips are good ones.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou yes Sadie I agree I used to do this, I love the gram but not had much time for it lately, so as you say if you miss something you miss it, have a good weekend x

      Delete
  6. I to tidy as I go, the place never get's too messy, which makes cleaning it easy. Plus I like to work in the mornings and relax in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make things so much easier, work mornings and rest afternoons sounds good to me.

      Delete
  7. We're probably quite similar, why make more work than you need to. My main time sucker is the internet, so I put my tablet away during the day so I can't be tempted xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The internet is very time consuming, I have just bought a tablet as well xx

      Delete
  8. I agree about the internet. It can swallow you whole if you let it :o). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I would rather be in the garden x

      Delete
  9. We have a hobby day and a day off day!! But having recently moved to Suffolk, we have been busy for the 5 days we have been here but have been out each afternoon.. and Sunday we went off out for hours It's like being on holiday every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea work a day have a day off. Just moved how exciting for you I can just imagine you must have so much to do.

      Delete
  10. I am trying not to spend so much time on the computer, but I am failing miserably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult sometimes isn't it.

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.