Tuesday, 16 May 2017

Frugal Food




Soups are so cheap to make, ideal when you are trying to make your money go further. Just a few simple ingredients can be transformed into a delicious frugal meal.


Today for tea I made cream of broccoli soup.

Ingredients

2 Medium Potatoes - peeled and finely chopped
1 Large Onion - peeled and finely chopped
1 head of Broccoli
25g Butter
1 litre Vegetable stock (hot)
175 ml Double cream
Seasoning


Melt the butter in a medium to large saucepan, and the potatoes and onion and a little salt and pepper. Sweat gently for 10 minutes.

Add the hot vegetable stock followed by the broccoli cut into florets, you can even use the stalk if you wish. Boil gently for 5-10 minutes until soft, remove from the heat and stir in the cream.

Liquidise and season to taste.



Served with some garlic bread sprinkled with parmesan.





Cheap easy and very tasty.

14 comments:

  1. Homemade soups are preferable to shop bought ones and the varieties can be endless, depending on what's in the fridge or cupboard. Must try your recipe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou I am not keen on tins can't beat homemade, xx

      Delete
  2. I love soup it's do cheap and simple but it's been far too hot in Essex today to have it. Phew hope we get some rain. Tx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been raining here for a few days and gives it for the rest of the week which I am pleased about it will fill up the water butts. xx

      Delete
  3. Ooh, total yum! I love soup and make all kinds. It's so easy and so nourishing and a great way of using up veg, too. I can't remember when I last bought a can of soup, it must be decades ago. If you are near a Co-op and do try their bread, though, it's lovely. I recommend Strong Cheddar and Jalapeno, it's lovely warmed up to have with soup, or just when a selection of cheese, olives, chutney, grapes, etc.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it is yummy, I do buy nice breads or sometimes​ make some, but I spotted the garlic bread and I thought I would have it for a change.

      Delete
  4. Agree, a great way to use things up, and freezes well too. Incredible that soup is on the menu in mid~May, isn't it? So cold lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes usually I would make a bigger batch and freeze a tub, and yes soup is not usually on the menu in the warmer months, it is quite chilly here at the moment.

      Delete
  5. Looks tasty, love home-made soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jane, simple food is the best.

      Delete
  6. Home made soup is the best. It looks delicious Marlene. And that is Lilys favourite garlic bread! No fancy garlic dough balls for us. 😃 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Jules, nothing wrong with the smart price garlic bread at all xx

      Delete
  7. Mmmm, I love homemade soup. Fresh ingredients are lovely, but soup is also such a useful way of using up odd bits and pieces. With chunks of crusty bread it is such a comfort food. I have a recipe for a seed bread that I want to try soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I often do a bottom of the fridge soup to use up bits and pieces. Seed bread sounds nice.

      Delete