Friday, 21 April 2017

Thrifty goings on in the kitchen.



This week in my thrifty kitchen.....


I bought 3 packs of Basa fish reduced from £4.00 a pack to 50p a pack.



Turned into fish pies one eaten, two for the freezer.



Chicken breast down to £1.00 a pack.





Turned into some deep filled pies for the freezer.






A big pan of leek and potato soup was made, lasted two days.



I made some lovely mint sauce.



Several weeks back I bought a three packs of 8 eating apples for 19p a pack, and some now needed using up so I got the apple peeling machine out, then stewed them down.




Mixed with three tins of this fruit filing which I bought reduced some time ago for 25p a tin.





Three crumbles were made, one for the weekend and two for the freezer.



Also for the weekend I quickly rustled up some chocolate cornflake squares.




I went for my afternoon walk and came back with this bargain.



It has a good date on it still, so I will keep it for a week or so before using, this big piece will give us quite a few meals.

14 comments:

  1. And I thought I was doing well making up a batch of spicy parsnip soup today! 😃 What a great example of batch cooking to save money. I especially like the look of the crumble filling and the cornflake squares. Enjoy your weekend Marlene. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spicy parsnip sounds good, I will be doing more cooking like this saves me so much time. Have a lovely weekend yourself Jules, xx

      Delete
  2. You always amaze! Everything looks delicious, as usual. I made a pan of brownies from scratch that I had to throw out. The edges were turning to stone whilst the middle didn't get done. I had to fiddle with the frosting to get it right then had no brownies. I finally used a mix. Some days are like that, I guess.
    I went yesterday to see if our store had any bargains. The Easter candy was less than 50% off, so I passed. They brought out VALENTINES candy that was marked 40% off! Again, I passed. Not much of any sales here. I don't need the calories, anyway. If I find a good price, per pound, then I'll buy chocolate to add to cookies. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I have days when it doesn't work out, I passed on the reduced Easter eggs as well, thanks for stopping by Debbie.

      Delete
  3. I love a bit of batch cooking. Those cornflake squares look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to do more batch cooking makes life easier.

      Delete
  4. It all looks good. I have been trying to fill the freezer as it is a 40 minute drive to the supermarket but sadly no real bargains to be had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what it's like to have to drive a long way which we had to do before moved. Looking forward to hearing about your new home.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous frugal food...you can't beat it......and it's a good job I don't know where you live else I would be after that mint sauce....lol-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelia if you lived nearby I'd have you around for lunch, x

      Delete
  6. My goodness, what bargains, Marlene, and did you do all that cooking on one day? I have to make fish pies, too, bought fish pie mix yesterday in Waitrose so mush crack on with that. Also I have cooking apples to stew down to make crumble, too! It's good to make for the freezer when you're in the cooking mood, isn't it? We only have a small freezer, so I can't do much, but I always make one to eat and one to freeze.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret, no it wasn't all done in one day. We only have a three drawer freezer since the other one packed up, it is nice to know there is something home cooking in the freezer when you don't feel like doing much isn't it.

      Delete
  7. I'm in the US so I looked up gammon to see what it is. We have lots of ham but not gammon that I've ever seen in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rhonda Gammon is ham really, thanks for stopping by.

      Delete