Wednesday, 1 March 2017

The garden is waking up


Welcome to my new follower Dorothy.




 The last few weeks have been milder so I have ventured out to sort and tidy the greenhouse . It has just turned out to be a bit of a dumping ground.




I only keep the bird food here in the winter months then it will go back in the shed.



All tidy now.




Before Christmas I picked up a mini standard rose in Home Bargains for £3.99 - all of a sudden it has really come to life, as has the rest of the garden.























I picked these up today in Home Bargains for 99p each.



We went into B & Q also, and they had a clearance.






We paid just £3.90 for all of these.




At the end of last summer I was thinking this year I would turn my veg growing area into a flower bed for cutting  flowers to have  indoors, but I have decided against that, we will be avoiding spending to much money in this garden now as this summer could be our last. I will grow some tomatoes, courgettes and peppers in pots. Last year I collected flower seeds, and with the seeds I bought today I will try and avoid buying anything else.

Potatoes have gone in this space.





89p from home bargains. 


So hopefully spending £3.56 will give us a good crop of potatoes.


Nothing nicer than freshly dug spuds.


The last of the indoor Hyacinths are blooming now and I did buy some lovely cheery daffodils this week.





Now ..........




18 comments:

  1. Yes, your daffodils are so pretty! I wanted to take a photo of how rubbish the ones in my local CK's at 5 buds for £1.00 were, but chickened out!
    That standard rose is going to be really pretty, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember what colour the rose was meant to be now, but it will be a nice surprise.

      Delete
  2. I relate to your before photos of the Greenhouse. Mine is needing my attention but I have to get some help to wash the glass down before I can do anything inside. I still have a lot of geranium plants in there and its not warm enough to put them out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The glass hasn't been done yet, but my husband will do that sometime.

      Delete
  3. You put me to shame, I've barely ventured into our garden this year, but our greenhouse needs a good sort out and tidy. Lovely little primroses xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's cold I won't go out, but tomorrow is meant to be good so I will crack on and get some weeding done and plant the primroses xx

      Delete
  4. It was lovely weather here yesterday. I actually sat out on the bench with a cuppa!
    We made a veg patch last year - about 20 x 20ft. We've just filled it in with turf this year. We got lots of veg - too much - gave most of it away. The reason we've turfed it is that it became a cat's toilet area!! Couldn't fancy the carrots any more! The pot grown stuff was fine. Lucky you with a greenhouse - we need one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easier to have a few pots, yes I know what you mean the first year here we had a cat problem, very off putting indeed.🐱

      Delete
  5. We tidied up the garden yesterday ready for moving out. It does seem strange not to be planning the plot and getting the seed tin out. We grew lots of things in pots and had huge success with most. You certainly got some bargains...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are in the middle of selling our house and finding another. My next house won't have a designated veg plot but I will fill my flower borders with Kale and lettuce as well as the odd beetroot or two. I am planning on trying to grow as many edibles as I can in amongst the flowers in the border

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with selling your house, that is a good idea, there is no reason why you can't mix flowers and veg.

      Delete
  7. I love your Hellebores and your garden looks so neat and tidy compared to ours at the moment-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelia, we bought 2 pink hellebores and the white one just appeared.

      Delete
  8. I'm another one who needs to get out there and tidy things up; I reckon I could fill the garden refuse bin several times over.
    I'm SO with your last picture - longing for dry weather, warmth, sunshine, flip flops, meals on the patio, book-reading in the sunshine . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am happier out in the fresh air, we love eating al fresco as well.

      Delete
  9. It's such a good feeling to see everything bursting to life again. What gorgeous and colourful plants you got. My hyacinths have gone now and won't be replaced. They are so lovely while they last. I think I will do some digging in the garden tomorrow now that you've inspired me. We have some seeds to go in this next month. Being new to this growing lark I don't know how it will go. I will no doubt be asking you for advice. Your garden always looks so great and you are so well organised. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Jules you do say the nicest things, I have been out sorting out the herbs today I grow them in pots and always give them fresh compost every year, and yes I am no expert but will be happen to help xxx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.