Friday, 3 March 2017

March Challenge - Day 3



I still had 19 eggs left out of the 60 I bought a few weeks ago , which I paid  20p for a box of 15. The best before date was 27th of February, but I don't worry about things like that I have never made any one ill by eating best before or out of date food, I go by if it looks good and smells ok then it is.



We still have some fresh bits and pieces in the fridge which we bought a few days ago at the end of February, so I had a look and decided it had to be quiche for tea.





I didn't make my own pastry I bought four of the above packs of pastry mix some time ago  4 for £1 from approved foods. I like to bake and cook , but making pastry is not my thing, I just don't like doing it, I usually buy ready made when it is reduced and pop it in the freezer, we don't actually eat much pastry.


There were a few fries left in the freezer so I cooked them up the same time, and there was some salad which needed using up as well.








The little bit of pastry left made a few lemon curd tarts.




Today is a no spend day.


March spend so far £2.11

18 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. I love a good quiche. I really admire how you use all your food to avoid waste. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jules, yes I can't abide waste, have a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  2. Love quiche but I'm the only one who likes it so I never really have it. I like cheese pie as well. Your tea looks lovely.
    I'm with you on the pastry. Too much faff rubbing in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes some things I just can't be bothered with.

      Delete
  3. Like you I use up the end of the pastry to make jam tarts! Quiche is a good standby isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Elizabeth, there are always ingredients for some sort of quiche here.

      Delete
  4. Unless it's for a party I never make a specifically flavoured quiche...it's always made to use up bits and pieces. Funnily enough they always taste the best don't they...lol-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes Shelia, there are so many options with quiche xx

      Delete
  5. It's quiche time again, I make a pastry free one, which is easy and quick to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a top tip for testing the freshness of eggs. Just fill a bowl with water and drop the egg in. If it goes on it's side it is still very fresh, the more upright it is the less fresh it is, and if it floats, bin it! Once the egg has passed that test, I still crack it into a glass and use my nose for extra safety.
    Quiche is always a good way to use up eggs and yours looks delicious! The whole meal looks good! Making me hungry for lunch already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Deborah I will try that, I will use the rest of the eggs in the next week, probably for light lunches, yes it was a nice meal, simple and tasty,

      Delete
  7. Wow, it all looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Tania. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  8. your quiche looks so good. I made one this week too, must be something in the air! Bill and Violet don't care for it, so it was all for old greedy chops here! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, we have a little left in the fridge, I actually prefer it next day when its cold, have a lovely Sunday, xxx

      Delete
  9. I love a homemade quiche. Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete