Saturday, 11 March 2017

March Challenge - Day 11



Welcome to my new follower Pauline.




Yesterday whilst I was roasting the chicken for the curry I decided to make a lemon thyme drizzle cake, when I went out to get the lemon thyme I was annoyed with myself as I had just cut it right back and repotted it, but all was not lost I had some lemon balm and so I used that instead.



Lemon Thyme or Lemon Balm Drizzle Cake


170g self raising flour
120g butter
120g sugar
2 x large eggs
zest and juice of 1 small lemon
2 x tablespoons of lemon thyme leaves or lemon balm finely chopped 


I just used to all in one method, put it all in the mixer together.

Bake at 170 c for around 40 - 45 mins.

For the lemon icing

140g icing sugar mixed with the juice of a small lemon.

After it has been out of the oven for five minutes, liberally spread the icing over the top, it is a thin icing so it will spread and run down the sides.

Lovely.











Today I spent £1.99 

£1.00 on some rhubarb from the car boot sale, and some cream 99p.





Tea was a salad.





Followed by a yummy crumble, with custard and cream.



I have worked the crumble off already, we went to the car boot this morning, then I planted some, petunias, nasturtiums, lobelia, livingstone daisies, hollyhocks, busy lizzie and alyssum. Followed by a weeding session, and then I went for a walk.






March Spend so far £48.29


18 comments:

  1. Your garden is going to look beautiful with all those flowers to look forward to-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelia, I do enjoy gardening x

      Delete
  2. Oh, YUM! I can never decide which is my top favourite, a Lemon Drizzle or a Victoria Sponge. I love both equally as they are, in my mind, the perfect companions to a cup of tea.
    Have you tried Susan Branch's recipe for Apple Cranberry Crisp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Deborah I haven't tried that one.
      I love a classic cake like a lemon drizzle or victoria sandwich, simple old fashioned cakes are the best, it was very nice indeed.

      Delete
  3. Your Lemon Drizzle cake sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou I love a simple lemon cake.

      Delete
  4. You are well ahead with your gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou I like to get it out of the way then I can relax and enjoy.

      Delete
  5. I'm enjoying looking at all your food (I am a great lover of home cooked food too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh that cake. Marlene, you rotter. Now you've got me craving a nice lemony cake! argh! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a nice lemony cake, it soon went x

      Delete
  7. Your lemon drizzle looks and sounds divine mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lemon drizzle cake and have lemon thyme and lemon balm in the garden. I have never put them into cake but I will be, soon, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought lemon balm but it was the first time I had used it, I must use my herbs more.

      Delete