Thursday, 2 March 2017

Making more of an effort



Hello and welcome to my new follower Joy.

I always feel inspired at the beginning of a new month, Spring is in the air and it makes me feel so much better, but today I have really been suffering with my back with the dreaded rheumatoid arthritis, I couldn't shift from the chair this morning and ended up watching back to back Nigella,  this afternoon I went into the greenhouse and made a start on re potting the herbs, as I grow them in pots I always give them some fresh compost every year. I also went for a gentle stroll in the sunshine, my mint has got diseased so I went and got another pot, I have to say I am feeling slightly better now. Time to start walking more as well now and shift some of the extra comforting eating weight.

Any way the title of this post is make more of an effort March,  which is what  I need to do, but not just for March we really need to knuckle down on spending this year. I have done well by keeping grocery spending very low for the first few months of this year, but still the cupboards and the freezer are full. We got some fresh bits and pieces a few days ago, so there is plenty in the fridge as well. So I am really going to try harder and I shall blog everyday through the rest of March on my spend and also show what we are eating. Doing a daily entry will keep me motivated.


So day 2

Pot of mint and some raspberries.

Total spend was £3.00 but I had an APG (Asda price guarantee coupon) to use so my spend ended up at £2.11.



 We are having Nigel Slater's Chicken broth tonight, I had leftover roast chicken and also made up broth/stock from the carcass a few days ago. I just adapted the recipe for three and also added a little frozen sweetcorn.


And some part baked rolls to go with it.


I made it and have left it on low in the slow cooker as our son is going to be home a little later tonight as he has gone to the cinema, and we always eat together.







16 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased your gentle stroll in the sunshine helped you feel a little better. Can you please send some my way? Even though we have been forecast some sunny weather, it hasn't materialised. I'm sure it isn't helping with me feeling just a bit meh!
    Chicken broth sounds delicious (she says having given up meat for Lent). Enjoy your time with your son this evening and I hope your discomfort has eased. I'm really looking forward to your daily postings. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jules, back to rain again for the next few days so I thought I would make an effort despite not feeling good. Jack is living back at home now, but he is always so busy we don't see that much of him, we always make sure we eat together though.xx

      Delete
  2. I have a big battle with the cost of grocery shopping - even though there's just the 2 of us now. My first online shop was last week. I've done another one this week. The bill was a bit lower this week - but I miss out on any reduced things - some are bought though just for the sake of it and not necessarily needed. I hope to tweak my on line shop and get it right down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only done an online shop twice in my life and was a little bit annoyed as they tried to fob me off with some things which I hadn't ordered as some off the things I ordered they didn't have, and yes you don't get the bargains either.

      Delete
  3. I have suffered with back problems myself and it really isn't much fun so I am sending bags of sympathy your way.
    The broth sounds delicious-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelia I am trying not to let it get me down, but it is. The broth was nice, x

      Delete
  4. I hope your back has eased. I've just seen the rheumatologist and had my steroid dose trebled, back to what it was in October, but still no answers as to what is actually wrong with me. After 17 months it's beginning to get me down :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh poor you Scarlet that is absolutely awful being in pain every day will get you down, I am so sorry they haven't found an answer for you.
      My rheumatoid arthritis first appeared in my early thirties I just woke up one day and my feet and hands were twice the size with being swollen up, it was a real shock, I went on meds but as I don't like popping pills I looked into natural remedies, I found a book written by a nurse and I ended up trying a cider vinegar and honey drink daily and I couldn't believe it, it worked, as you know once you have it, it stays with you, but I don't take meds now but I am going to have to do something again as I am in agony again this morning and my fingers aren't to good either.

      Delete
  5. Sounds delicious, I find it amazing the savings you make, very inspiring xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered if it would be ok with the mint in with chicken but it really worked, it was cheap and tasty xx

      Delete
  6. Have you ever potted up those growing herbs? I've done a few with reasonable success, and increased my varieties of mint too! With a bit of careful management, I've kept some of them going in my porch for a few months over the winter when the garden herbs aren't producing much in flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Deborah, they seem to do alright, better to buy them for a £1.00 in the supermarket than in the garden centres. Some of my pots of herbs are in the greenhouse for the winter, a few are outside, I always have basil,coriander and parsley in the kitchen in the cold months as well, but yes I agree some are not very good in the winter, my lemon thyme seems to love it whatever the weather and the rosemary.

      Delete
  7. I hope your back is feeling better. I agree that walking does help to ease back pain (fellow sufferer).

    I think you are pretty amazing with your food spends. I find that I do really well when I shop online, no temptations. Well. Sort of. I ordered two boxes of rose & violet creams this week, but in my defence there were on offer, and I had a £12 off voucher to use! :O)

    Your dinners sounds so good. I love those part baked rolls, they are so handy to keep stashed away and always taste fab too.
    have a glorious weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sadie, John has a hang up table down in the shed which is designed for stretching the back, it basically hangs you by your feet, it has saved us a fortune over the years on chiropractors, so I shall have a go on it tomorrow, I am not keen on it but John stays with me and helps me tilt back up when I have had enough. I really fancy some rose and violet creams, I shall have to treat myself. Yes the part baked rolls are very handy, we always have a couple packs stashed away, have a lovely weekend yourself xxx

      Delete
  8. That recipe sounds delicious, Marlene! How we love soup/broth! There is nothing like the spring and some sunshine and a few walks to make us all feel just that little better better.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice, I thought chicken with mint would be a little weird but it was nice.

      Delete