Tuesday, 14 February 2017



Sundays yellow sticker shop was very hard work, I don't seem very lucky lately.
This is what I had.

Sausage Rolls - (fresh made in store)  - 29p
Cheese & Onion Pasties - 29p
4 snack pots of berries - 9p each
Grapes - 60p
3 bags of spinach - 9p each
Cake - £1.99
Apples - 20p
2 punnets of strawberries - 9p each
Bread - 65p  
(I am buying bread again as my bread maker died)
2 x cucumber portions - 5p each
Tomatoes - 49p
3 x bunches of Roses 49p the lot


Still not to worry the freezer and cupboards and still stuffed.

I also have plenty of fruit and veg from the trip to Aldi the week before.

I am not going shopping this weekend I want to spend the next few weeks using up what we have. So I shall have a look at what we have and then work out what the meals will be.


Today I have finished off spring cleaning our bedroom, and then moved on to the next room. I am going to have another sort out of my cookery books, I had a big sort out last year and got rid of several but I seem to have quite a lot still.  I just counted 33 and then there are some more in the kitchen and to be honest I just don't use them much anymore as I prefer plain, simple and easy to prepare meals. So I shall go through each book carefully and if there are only a couple of recipes I use in a book I will type them out and add to my recipe folders.
I will check the prices on the book buying sites and if they are no good the charity shop can have some.


So have you started spring cleaning?
Do you own many cookery books, would love to hear what your favourite ones are.

22 comments:

  1. Oh, I guess some weeks will be better than others, but overall you do brilliantly, so don't let it get you down that Sunday's shop wasn't so great, it looks great to me anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fair few - Nigella x2, Rachel Allen x3, Delia xseveral, Gordon, Aggie and lots of general cookery ones. I enjoy the pictures.
    Do you know which little one and cheapest one I find the most useful? It's my little Bero one!!
    Full of easy tasty recipes that suit our taste. The best one in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only have one Rachel Allen but I might look out for more, love her style. I am with you on the Bero I have that one in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some very old favourites. When I was first married I started collecting the Elizabeth David books and used them a lot. Now I dip in and out of various recipe books, going for the tried and tested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of Elizabeth David I shall have to look her up.

      Delete
  5. My most used cookbook is probably the Victory compilation by Marguerite Patten, out of the 7 or 8 cookbooks I have. My mother has a book that she has written recipes in since the '70's and I've done the same, except my book is only 10 years old at the most! It's more used than any published cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think that is the best way to make up your own book.

      Delete
  6. Another Bero fan here....love that little book.
    I got rid of most of my cookery books last year too as I just prefer to make my own food from what I have at home. I did keep my Primrose Bakery cupcake book and have recently bought a small book about making curries as I want to stop using the jar sauces-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on you not wanting to use jars, I know how you feel.

      Delete
  7. I'm permanently spring cleaning year round! My house is like the Fourth Bridge! I collect books inc recipe books but my most used are my Bero book and my trio of Hairy Dieters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find when I have finished the cleaning it is time to start again.

      Delete
  8. I think that is still very lucky for yellow stickers. We only manage a few on a good day.
    I had a good clear out of my cookery books a while ago now. I found, like you, I prefer easy recipes. Most of my favourites I have found on blogs like yours. I do miss having a browse through them occasionally though.
    I'm not thinking about Spring cleaning yet. 😊 X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am naughty I don't post many recipes these days but I will get into again soon xx

      Delete
  9. I have 5 books. Four of them are old, including my Bero book which my Grandma sent me when I got engaged in 1982. The last one is the Quorn cookbook which a fellow blogger in Lancashire was giving away recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really prefer the old books, the Bero one is so popular.

      Delete
  10. I had a sort out in January and removed quite a bit of clutter. In Sussex we don't get markdown like those. Occasionally a reduction from 2.20 to 2.00 a bag of something. Hardly worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel good to declutter doesn't it. I agree those reductions are hardly worth the effort.

      Delete
  11. I love my cookery books, but right now they don't actually have a 'home'. They were in cupboards in the kitchen where they were difficult to get at, and since I put them all together in a corner of our sitting/dining room about a year ago, there they have remained! Husband is going to make an area for them in our dining room but he didn't want to do this until the weather warmed up as he will need to do sawing of wood in the garage. There are other ways: I could weed my books substantially and leave space for my cookery books on shelves already there and this might be another option!
    I don't have a favourite cookery book, I use recipes from several and after so many years of cooking, most of my recipes have been adapted to our needs anyway. Some I still like to look at but have never actually used!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do like your books don't you Margaret.

      Delete
  12. I had a cull a few years ago but still have too many. I usually bring one back from holiday and the most used in that category is the grand canyon cookbook! I've used these the most consistently over the years - a Nigel Slater,a Mary Berry, a Nigella, a BBC good food, a French Lady ..., a Danish and a very old cookbook of my Mum's. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a huge Nigel Slater and Mary Berry fan.

      Delete