Wednesday, 25 January 2017



Welcome to my three new followers Anna and Jill and Jillie.



It is very cold and definitely soup weather.

I have made this Red Lentil soup now a few weeks in a row, it is one of my favourite winter warmers.


This will make about 4 very generous servings.








Red Lentil Soup

3 tbsp of veg or sunflower oil
300g Red Lentils
2  onions 
2  cloves of garlic 
1  red pepper
Few pieces of red chilli
1tsp grated root ginger
1.5 litres Vegetable stock or Boullion
Fresh chopped Parsley 2 tbsp or  1 tbsp of dried
Squeeze of lemon
seasoning




The chilli and the root ginger give it just a little "kick" but can be left out if you prefer. 
I usually make this with freshly squeezed lemon and fresh parsley, but I had neither and it works just as will with dried parsley and bottled lemon juice.

Chop the onions & peppers, crush the garlic, and fry gently for around 7-8 mins, or until the onion is soft .
Add the chilli and ginger and cook for another 5 minutes.
Add the lentils, followed by the stock and  bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 mins then add the parsley and seasoning and simmer for 10 more minutes. Add a squeeze of lemon juice then, blend, and just return to the hob to reheat.






Perfect for these cold winter days.

19 comments:

  1. I simply must try this, I've never made lentil soup. Yes, I've used lentils in veggie soups, but not as a lentil soup in itself. Will try and report back! Hope I get it right!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice, I love the thick texture.

      Delete
  2. Perfect filling and warming soup for this chilly blast we're having, although I don't think we have it as cold as you and it is still above freezing! Enjoy that delicious looking soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thankyou Sadie, I made this a few days ago, but finished it off for tea tonight xx

      Delete
  4. If only lentils didn't have a very bad effect on me!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely, especially with the chilli kick xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is I don't like too much chilli a little bit works very well xx

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious, I think I may give this one a try! Thank you for the recipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely Marlene. I haven't made my soup yet this week. I must get it done-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love red lentils and whack em in all my winter veg stews. The earthy thickness they give is delicious. Fortunately I'm not afflicted like poor Sue but you have reminded me that I need to put some on my list. They cook a lot faster than people think too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks good, I have never made lentil soup so really must try it. We are great fans of soup at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i shall have to give this a try i love lentil soup
    sammie xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so delicious. I love soup at this time of year. It's so warming on these frosty days. X

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.