Tuesday, 17 January 2017

Shopping Apps


A few weeks I was asked about shopping apps, so I thought I would do a post about how they work.

I use checkoutsmart.com & Shopmium, I have the apps on my phone but when I use them I generally use the computer to upload my receipts, but either way is fine.

So this is checkoutsmart.com


You have to create an account and also have a paypal account so the payments can be made to you.

There are several items on here all the time here is just an example of what is on here at the moment.

Many items are free, others it will tell you how much cash you can get back, If you check mysupermarket.com and look through the supermarkets to see if that item is on promotion , that way you can get some really good deals, if you combine this with the promotion.




It is very straightforward to use, and tells you which stores you can redeem the offers in and how long they are valid for, some offers go on for quite a while others just appear and only last for a day, I check both the sites I use several times a day as new things are regularly added.




Today I took advantage of some offers on Shopmium.









My husband has an account as well, so between us  we got these completely free.




Both the crispy slices and yogurt breaks are on promotion in Asda & Morrison's for £1.00. 
The other offer says you get 50% off three packs, so if they are £1.00 each on promotion you are paying £3.00 and you will get £1.50 back. So infact in the end you are paying just 50p per pack.


I spent £16.00 all together.
But will end up being paid £10.00 back.


So using my account and my husbands account we got all of this for £6.00





Also my son has an account and he also did the offer.

I will not be adding our sons purchases to my challenge as he paid for the ones he bought.




So total spend in January now stands at £69.62.

It is creeping up but still doing ok.

So do you use apps ?

18 comments:

  1. Thank you for that I will certainly be looking into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I haven't used apps, but helpful to know thanks. I do find the mysupermarket site you mentioned good though when I remember to use it.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very good to keep checking the prices, I look on there before I need to go out.

      Delete
  3. I had a quick look at one of the sites last night. It's very good, but unfortunately it's not the kind of things we buy (at the moment anyway). I'll keep checking it though. Thanks for the advice Marlene. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a load of c**p on there, I don't just buy things because they are free I am very selective xx

      Delete
  4. Oh dear, Marlene, I don't have a smart phone. Life already seems complicated enough without one of those. But I shall have to get a new phone sometime, I dread having to learn how to use a new one, mine is 8 years old, a dinosaur of a mobile! Is it really worth the faff of looking at all these apps, though? I would be tempted to buy things I didn't usually buy simply because they had money off (well, no I don't think I would - I'm a fairly savvy shopper, having shopper, I think! I have a LIST and apart from things which I know I've actually forgotten to put on it, I stick to the List.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This technology has taken over hasn't it, as I just said on the previous comment, I wouldn't just buy any rubbish or if just because it was free.

      Delete
    2. I made a silly typo in my comment, I meant "having shopped for 52 years" and left out that important "52 years"! I will buy things not on the List if, as happened yesterday, some things actually appearing on my List were half price, so then I buy two and it comes to the same amount as if I'd bought just one. Yesterday, Bertolli was on offer at 90p a pack, so I bought two. Also Sensodyne Pro-Namel were which are expensive were at half price, so again I bought two. We only have crisps at Christmas, never have fizzy drinks or pizzas or bought or canned soup, but I appreciate that if people go out to work they sometimes need to cut cooking corners and these can be useful. Indeed, seldom are the items we buy on offer, but yesterday even *Jordan's Crunchy Raspberry cereal had 20% off, not a huge saving, but a saving nonetheless.)
      *Bought in Waitrose
      Margaret P

      Delete
    3. If it something you like when there is a good offer it is sensible to snap it up, have you tried the Bertolli with butter, it is our favourite, it is on offer for £1.50 in Sainsburys so we stocked up yesterday but they didn't cost us a penny because we used the nectar points.

      Delete
  5. I don't have a smartphone, so no, I don't use apps. But then again, I don't live near anywhere that I can use the coupons either. It takes the old fashioned art of couponing from a newspaper with a scissors to a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, the Americans do extreme couponing.

      Delete
  6. I've just been on the MSE site and apart from fairy non bio there's not one item I would buy. I don't get this extreme couponing one bit lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look at some of the facebook pages and people end up getting so much c**P.

      Delete
    2. To be fair, a lot of people that do the extreme couponing donate a lot of the stuff they get to food banks, churches, soup kitchens, relatives and friends having a tough time and lots of other places. But on the other side there are the ones that have become hoarders with all their free/discounted stuff. We, in W. Canada, get virtually no coupons, and if we do they are for air freshener or fabric softener. Things I wouldn't use. Even worse, the best we ever get in discounts, like your yellow stickers, is 30% and that is usually very stale bread. When they put any fruit and veg at 30% off it's not usually fit for human consumption. It's only good for compost heaps and maybe chickens or pigs!!! No bargains on this side of the pond!!

      Delete
    3. Yes I have also heard of people who do it to donate, which is generous.

      Delete
  7. That's brilliant Marlene and will make your budget go much further. I will take a look as I do have a smart phone and I have a paypal account. Thanks for the introduction to this way of shopping.

    ReplyDelete