Saturday, 14 January 2017

Frugal Food on Saturday



Welcome to my new follower Sara Penny Lane.


Today's frugal food.........

This morning I decided to bake.

I had some bread which I bought reduced so perfect for making my bread pudding slice.




8 oz  bread.
1/2 pint of milk
6oz   sultanas
3 oz   butter or margarine
1 heaped tablespoon of Demerara sugar (+ extra for sprinkling after)
1 tsp mixed spice
 Pinch of nutmeg
1 egg (beaten)
A squeeze of orange or lemon juice
A shot of brandy (optional)

Tear the bread into chunks, pour over the milk and leave to soak for half an hour.



If you are using a shot of brandy pour over the fruit now to soak while the bread is soaking. I have made this using brandy and also without, it works well either way.

After half an hour add all the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Spread in your dish and cook for around 90 minutes at 180 c or equivalent, half way through cooking cover will foil to stop the fruit getting scorched. 

Sprinkle with some demerara sugar and cut into slices.

Can be eaten warm, or cold, but best eaten on the same day.


I don't like to put the oven on just for one thing, electric is expensive, so I made some shortbread biscuits as well.


So for lunch we sampled these scrumptious goodies.

Two very cheap to make bakes.



After the baking was done it was out with the slow cooker.


A few simple cheap ingredients...



Turned into a beautiful tasty lentil soup for tea.



So a very frugal day in the kitchen.





Grocery Challenge Update


This week I had to stock up on bottled water - yes bottled water, I have always drunk it and always will, I can't stand tap water and here it is really bad and full of limescale.
So bottled water is something I do not compromise on. I have a few cups of tea a day and one coffee but my main drink is water, I go through gallons of it.
I also bought some more of the laundry detergent from Poundland. I now have enough to last the year so that is one less thing to think about.
I also stocked up on fruit teas as there was a good offer and also on Conditioner, plus a few other essentials.
So the total spend this week was £27.11 

Total spend so far for January £55.92

Nearly half way through, so looking at the figures now I think I will be within the budget.


25 comments:

  1. The bread pudding slice looks very yummy.
    You're doing well with your challenge-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Shelia, this is one of my favourite recipes, xx

      Delete
  2. This has made me really hungry! I used to love my Nanna's Bread Pudding, different to yours again, warm and drizzled with Golden Syrup. It's amazing what so many countries come up with to use up stale bread. I'm just entering a new elimination phase having discovered I have some kind of intolerance, not to wheat or grains but something, probably one of the many chemicals now added to flour, that is in some flour and not in others. It's quite a bore! Currently on total gluten and wheat free as part of the larger elimination picture.
    What uses do you find for your empty water bottles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really eat much bread in the week as it tends to make me bloated, the bread pudding slice is a favourite here.
      I generally recycle them but I have cut and used for propergating before.

      Delete
  3. do you know ive never tried bread pudding or tried to bake shortbread? i love shortbread too..
    lentil soup looks lovely, i picked up some of the poundland liquid too, yet to try it but happy to add to my stockpile
    sammie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread pudding looks delicious, a firm favourite here with all the family. You are certainly doing well with your challenge, long may that last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes I will keep it up for sure.

      Delete
  5. My husband has to drink lots of water for medical reasons, and hates our Cornish tap water. I have been buying 8 bottle packs of Buxton water for £2.00, possibly there are cheaper, but he likes the taste of this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the small bottles for taking out and so we can keep a bottle in the bedroom, and I buy the bigger bottles to use for other times.

      Delete
  6. Those things look good enough to eat, ha ha! Seriously, I love the idea of using up bread like that, Marlene.
    What a shame you can't drink your tap water! Here in Devon, as no doubt you know (being a Devon lass) we have the most expensive water rates in the country and therefore I am glad that at least it's fit to drink. Sometimes, but not recently (now watch this happen!) it tastes of chlorine, especially at night when we've taken a glass of water to bed (I don't mean we sleep with a glass of water ... you now what I mean!) and during the night it will smell of chlorine, the chlorine having risen to the surface, but usually it tastes absolutely fine. We have soft water, no limescale at all. I'm so glad we don't have to buy bottled water although we do have a bottle of Badoit or Pellegrino occasionally, as a treat.
    I can't access my blog at the moment - something wrong with it! It's so annoying (voice of Harry Enfield's "Kevin" here!)
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Margaret I know all about South West Water, when we had our own house we had a filter system built into the kitchen sink.Hope you get your blog sorted.

      Delete
  7. I love bread pudding and managed to get some yellow sticker pannetone and have it sliced up in the freezer ready to go. Our water in South Lincs was awful and bottled was the only way, but here it is wonderful and I don't buy bottled at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's lovely Pam, I bought a half price Pannetone it still has a good date on it. Wales is a contender for us when we move again, and nice water would be a real bonus.

      Delete
  8. Not all bottled water is equal, check the calcium level on the label, too much can lead to kidney stones, we only found this out when we lived in Spain and everyone had to buy bottled water, the warning was given by the heath service as there was a high level of people suffering from kidney stones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I have never heard that thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  9. I never really give much thought to drinking our tap water. It must be ok round here as ours tastes fine to me. The bread pudding looks delicious and perfect comfort food for this time of year. My OH made your broccoli and Stilton soup yesterday, so I'm looking forward to some for my lunch today. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose all areas are different as far as water is concerned, enjoy your soup, have a lovely Sunday x

      Delete
  10. Your bakes and soup look sooo tempting Marlene. I'm going to try the broccoli and stilton soup next week too :) Re water: ours tastes foul, I can just about manage it in tea and coffee but on it's own it's awful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brocolli and stilton was lovely Angie, and yes same here I use tap for all hot drinks x

      Delete
  11. Evian water is the best to drink in terms of lower mineral content. I know this from when working and had to advise mothers going abroad with babies re what was the best bottled water to make up baby formula etc. I only ever drink tap water for various reasons but it is filtered through the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Wendy for the information, we don't just buy normal supermarket cheap water it is spring water x

      Delete
  12. The shortbread looks scrummy. Great spending figures Marlene.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We use bottled water in our vehicle but we do have very good water where we live. Over here all plastic, glass and tetra pack beverage containers are recycled. We pay a deposit on each container when we buy it and then get the refund when we return all the containers to the bottle depot. This keeps a lot of stuff out of the landfill as it is all reused in some way. Recyclable containers are collected by different organizations as fund raisers and lots of people put there bottles beside the recycling bin for the bottle pickers (usually homeless people) to help themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise that organizations collected them.

      Delete