Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Comping



Welcome to my new follower Mari.


I was never much of a crafter or had many hobbies.   I don't knit or crochet.  I no longer sew, I was never much good at that anyway.  I made jewellery once upon a time, the only thing I really do now is a bit of card making. I am currently working through the last box of my card making bits, and have decided I am not going to make anymore.  It was handy when we lived in a small village and if I needed a card I could make one instead of paying a high price in the local shop. But now I have so many cards already made and living in the city I can always find a nice card at a good price, so there is no point in me doing it.

One thing I have done over the years is entering competitions, this is know as "comping".  I started doing this over 20 years ago, back then the price of a stamp was very reasonable, and I used to do a mix of postcard/postal entries and online.
I have never won the "biggie" a new car or huge wad of cash etc.  But I have won some very nice things over the years. 

The last 5-6 years I haven't really bothered that much just entering a few here and there as we have moved four times in seven years. But now I have decided I am going to get back into it big time. I only do online comps as postage now is so expensive, the only postal ones I would do if it was local. I am aiming to spend one hour minimum a day, but some days it will be more than that, I will not set a routine I shall do it whenever I fancy. I have always really enjoyed it.


I started again a few weeks back, but prizes always take a while to come through.

So hopefully 2017 will be a good year with the postman and couriers calling regularly.




Any more "compers" out there? Have you ever won the "biggie" or do you know someone who has?





Just a quick update on the grocery challenge, my budget was £100 with a maximum of £120. The total for January was £118.47. Very tight but I still did well.

29 comments:

  1. Another one who's kept to their shopping budget! Well done. And good luck with the comping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, there are a lot of us on a budget at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Well done for staying within budget. You've really kept on track. Comping isn't something I've ever done. Do you go on specific sites for it? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules thankyou, one of the sites I use is Hot Deals, once I find a competition I do all the other on the website closing within the month and I have a book full of sites which I check every month.

      Delete
  3. Well done for staying within budget. You've really kept on track. Comping isn't something I've ever done. Do you go on specific sites for it? X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news on your budget!
    I don't have a lot of wins, then I don't enter a lot of things, but I do win some rather decent stuff at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I saw you posted about a win the other week.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your comping. My mum used to enter quite a few competitions years ago and won quite a few things xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure competition entering would suit me, I don't have the patience. But good luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where ever do you find all these competitions? I have heard of people winning so many things for their homes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just google it, there are some good newspaper articles on winners.

      Delete
  8. Well done for staying within your budget, I'm really impressed and feel inspired to try. Good luck with your competitions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard work sticking to the budget but it has to be done.

      Delete
  9. Good Luck with your comping-x-

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was impressed that you managed to stick to your budget, I am going to make much more of an effort once we have moved. Good luck with the comping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed to, I am always lured by the bargains but didn't go overborard.

      Delete
  11. I just blew my budget on a bottle of gin - for the free glass it came with!!! I'm a hopeless case!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you musn't count the gin. It is your treat.

      Delete
  12. i have done the 5 a day rule on competitions , never won a biggie . just keep filling in the forms online when i see something i would actually want . Christmas bought a couple of little bits but this year ive not won a great deal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to regularly send in post cards when there was a book giveaway, that sort of thing, in my monthly magazines have been very lucky in the past. I also wont a set of Le Crueset cookware (we had to think up a slogan to advertise it, and I said it was the Upper Crust of Cookware, and that won 3rd prize.) I've won tickets to the Chelsea Flower Show, too, but it was a nightmare getting there (by coach) and it was the final day when there was the scrummage for plants at the end - I'd certainly not go again, far too crowded for me, but I've not seriously gone in for competitions. I have to actually want the prize, too. Do I really want a cruise? No I do not. Do I want to go to Disneyland? What do you think!
      At last ... I am now alone in not being able to sew, knit or do craft work! Neither can I swim properly, ride bicycle or a horse. Indeed, there's more things I can't do than I can do!
      Margaret P

      Delete
    2. Some nice wins Margaret, I only do ones if the prize is something I could you or really like, I can't swim either, that was probably to do with fear as when I was younger learning to swim, I was really nervous and afraid to get in the pool, the teacher actually chased me around the pool and then picked me up an chucked me in, the b****rd.

      Delete
  13. Good luck with the competitions and congratulations on sticking to your budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tania hope you are well. Thankyou x

      Delete
  14. I go in for competitions as and when I see them. The best thing I've won recently was the full size L'Oreal foundation I got at the end of last year. That was a corking surprise, didn't expect to get that. I used to have luck back in the day.

    Well done on staying under your budget. That's pretty impressive. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely surprise, it is nice when something just turns up.
      Thankyou Sadie I hope I can stick to the budget xx

      Delete