Thursday, 8 December 2016

Watching the Birdies.

 Hello and welcome to my new followers Sylvia and Tanya. 
I have done it got to 100 followers, thankyou to all my lovely followers.



Before we moved here we lived in a very small town, it was classed as a town but more like a large village, we used to have a great big Oak Tree in the back garden, It was called Oak Tree House. One day I decided it would be nice to have a bird table. Very soon the birds started to arrive, we had so many visitors everyday we had a small  flock of Goldfinches ( I believe the correct name for a flock of Goldfinches is a Charm) also a small flock of Siskin's and also all the usually birds like Robins, Tits, Blackbirds etc we even had a couple of Nuthatches.  It was absolutely wonderful , they were very expensive to feed, but I didn't mind, they were such a joy to watch.


Now we are in the city it is a bit different, I have tried everything to tempt them in, we do get a few but nothing like before.
We have the bird table which had to be modified because of the Starlings eating everything, we have a suet feeder, seed feeder, fatballs, peanut feeder. I bought a ground feeder cage so I  could put suet and mealworms on the ground this is designed to keep the larger birds out, the sides are adjustable.




These are all the visitors I have seen in the last week.






 The Starlings getting frustrated, wondering how to get in the cage.



They don't go without there is usually a bit of bread they can have.



There are always one or two Magpie's around



A Dunnock




Female and Male Blackbird's






The Pigeon is a regular, he comes in for a dish of seed.




 When the bird bath gets frozen I always make sure there is some water available .


A Great Tit stopped by, he even had a look in the shed nest box - we did have Blue Tits nesting there this year.





The Wagtail waits for me to throw a few mealworms out for him.





A couple of Blue Tits popped by, before I could snap them they went in the tree next door.


Then my faithful little friend who is always out there singing away, he tends to watch me and is getting quite friendly.

He is gorgeous.
















So how is the wildlife in your back garden ?

























































30 comments:

  1. A wonderful selection of birds.
    We don't see many because there are far too many cats around here! We tried putting food out for birds, but they were wary of the cats and the squirrels that have raided our walnut tree and taken every single walnut this year. We call our path around the house the M5 Catway because cats use it as a short cut between our neighbouring house and the road through the Close - it's a wonder they don't stop and wave as they pass by the patio doors as I sit here and type!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky we only get the odd cat, but we send him on his way, nothing against them but I don't want them after my birds or using the garden as a toilet.

      Delete
  2. The Robin is a handsome little fellow. Your photos are lovely Marlene. I have to be careful what I put out because out neighbours throw bread and the seagulls arrive in their hundreds. Everything in sight is stripped. Perhaps I need to do something similar to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be careful with the amount of bread put out because we do get the odd seagull turn up and they are huge.

      Delete
  3. Non-existent at the moment, roll on Jan and our move back to the country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, when we move it will be to a more wildlife friendly area.

      Delete
  4. I love watching the birds on our feeding station but my camera isn't good enough to get any decent photographs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice, they are very entertaining aren't they x

      Delete
  5. We get the usual - sparrows, blackbirds, a robin, a wren , 2 collared doves, 3 or 4 wood pigeons, starlings, seagulls and a visiting sparrowhawk on the look out for prey - it's had a couple of my favourite birds this year.
    We have a cat but she's an odd cat in that she's scared of birds but catches a mouse almost daily! In fact she's scared of most things!!
    We live in a big village but can be in woods and forests within 5 mins by car. Last year we saw a red kite flying through our local forest carrying a squirrel! Sad to see but that's nature isn't it.
    I absolutely love to watch the birds having a bath - they're very thorough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to watch them isn't it we do get sparrows as well and two doves sometimes. Where we lived before a Sparrowhawk took many birds, but as you say it's nature.

      Delete
  6. Lovely, lovely, lovely! There is something about Robins, isn't there? You're doing well. I remember a few months back there wasn't anyone coming. Just imagine what things might be like this time next year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your right, I am very grateful for my little visitors, I just love bird's so much, x

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful array of beautiful birds, it must be like watching a nature programme. We are blessed with lots of wildlife too, I am just useless with the camera, by the time I have switched it on they have generally moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do have to be quick, I keep the camera in the spare bedroom by the window so I can grab it quick.

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed your post, we barely have any birds in our garden. The Robin pictures were really special and I love that a group of Goldfinches is a charm xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl thankyou, we don't have any pets, I suppose that helps, a charm is lovely isn't it x

      Delete
  9. What fantastic photos you have taken. Robin's are very special aren't they, you can get very attached to them. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, I remember an episode of Countryfile where one got very friendly and actually went in the house xx

      Delete
  10. Wonderful post and photos:) My favourite little bird has to be the gorgeous Robin♥ Sadly,no Robins here:( We do have a lovely selection of bright colourful birds lorikeets, galahs, cockatoos kookaburras and our resident magpies to name but a few.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love seeing them, I love them all.

      Delete
  11. Hello! I wanted to let you know that I didn't receive your email for the 2017 Pen Pal Sign-ups.

    Colletta @ Colletta's Kitchen Sink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok Colletta I will try again, thankyou.

      Delete
  12. It's lovely watching the birds in the garden, isn't it? It's like watching a soap opera with the coming and goings and all the bickering and arguments. I spend a fortune on bird food but it's so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Jo, it is money well spent.
      I have joined the pen pal sign up - really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  13. Wonderful photos and I love the cage. The starlings and pigeons eat anything available so it will give the small birds a chance, and they can't be plucked away by Sparrowhawks either x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angie, I forgot to say the other week I had the fright of my life I was taking some rubbish out and a Sparrowhawk zoomed in and landed my my feet, I nearly had a heart attack xx

      Delete
  14. we get loads of birds. mainly robins, a few magpies, and the everyday ones. blackbirds etc. And we have squirrels. They are always hanging upside down, stealing the birds food. But that's ok. they are hungry too :O)

    your little robin is adorable! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrels what does Dudley think about them?
      The Robin is so adorable, I know when he's around I can hear him singing, I am going to give him a mince pie on Christmas Day xx

      Delete
  15. Your photos are very good - you seem to have managed to encourage quite a few new feathered friends. Despite their voracious appetites I am fond of starlings as they seem to be very sociable birds, always chatting with each other.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy with the amount we get, would love to get greenfinches,siskins and goldfinches in regularly though.x

      Delete