Wednesday, 21 December 2016

Christmas Lunch Prep




This morning I have done the prep for the Christmas Lunch, last thing I want is to be peeling and chopping all morning on the day.

Luckily I just had enough room to squeeze all this in the freezer.

I wasn't going to do it today, but yesterday when I went to the parcel shop I spotted some cheap sprouts.

So I have lightly steamed some potatoes, tossed in oil, these were left to cool before freezing.


Preparing the Roast Potatoes

Sprouts have been lightly steamed, I will add some cooked chestnuts on the day , then they will just need to be warmed through , I will just to this with a little butter in a pan.









Here is my red cabbage recipe.

2 tbsp Olive Oil
Generous knob of Butter
1 red Cabbage (600g when chopped)
1 Onion 
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
3 tbsp Soft Brown Sugar
150 ml Red Wine Vinegar
3 Eating Apples (peeled & diced)
2 tbsp Red Currant Jelly (Optional)

Finely slice the cabbage, and onion.(keep seperate) - I use the Kenwood for slicing.
Heat the butter and oil in a large lidded saucepan/pot.
When the hot ad the onion and fry lightly until softened.
Stir in the spices.
Then add the cabbage and fry lightly for around 5 minutes.
Stir in the apples, sugar and red wine vinegar.
Cover with a lid and cook gently for 30 minutes.
Stir in the red currant jelly - this is optional, it just takes away a little of the tartness.

This is a lovely recipe, I make it every year.








Sprouts and Cabbage ready for the freezer.

I shall also be doing roasted honey parsnips & carrots, I will peel and chop these Christmas Eve and leave in water overnight.

I did not buy pigs in blankets as I will be taking Sausages and  Bacon out from the freezer to do my own.

I also will make some stuffing balls tomorrow for the freezer.

So that is me sorted, much better to be all prepared, better than doing all the work on the day.


 I shall be busy having a few of these.




16 comments:

  1. Good for you, have a small glass of white for me. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will and Happy Christmas and a very Happy New Year to you xx

      Delete
  2. I've been doing a bit of prep too. You've got me worried now though as I've used cooking apples in the cabbage not eating apples!! It tastes ok though, fingers crossed. Sounds like your Christmas morning will be nice and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw on the gram, and you can do it with either sort of apples, it works well with whatever it depends how 'tart' you like it. I am glad the work is out of the way, enjoy your day x

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely going to make the red cabbage. I haven't had it in years and look forward to it with gammon mash and roasted carrots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm that sounds good, I should make it more often really,we all love it.

      Delete
  4. You are very well prepared. We will probably just do ours on the day. It doesn't take too long for us and otherwise we don't have a lot of room in the freezer. I've never had red cabbage before. I might just have to try some now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do try it Jules it is very good xx

      Delete
  5. It all looks mouth watering! My favourite part of any meal is the vegetables and yours look delicious. Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait for our prep day on Saturday. DD and I get our aprons on, crank up the festive music and peel, chop and prepare all day long. We love it.
    This year we are having lunch at 3pm so Christmas morning will be lovely and relaxing for a change-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nice doing it together, sounds like fun xx

      Delete
  7. I love red cabbage. Schwartz brought out a limited edition sachet, so I picked it up and thought I'd try. All you have to add is cider, an apple, and some onion. Wow, it was so good. now I need to see if I can find anymore of the sachets before they vanish because it was so easy and so good.

    You have me inspired. tomorrow I have the choice of either going into town in the afternoon, or staying home and doing my food prep. I'm thinking the latter, just because we'll be busy on Saturday and seeing all your veggies prepped and ready makes me want to get mine done.

    Did our festive food shop in Asda yesterday, which was QUIET! I had declared 'let battle commence' as we parked up, but was shocked to find it almost empty. And I was able to get all I wanted. We've gone for a turkey crown this year, quite excited about that. Oh, and while I think of it, they were selling bags of sprouts, carrots, parsnips and broccoli at 20p a pack. Even though I had all of the above, I bought more because it'll all last and at that price, why the heck not!

    Have a lovely Thursday before Christmas. Hope you are feeling ok and your husbands cold has started to clear up xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cabbage sounds lovely, glad you are feeling better, Unfortunately I have some up with a sore throat 😔, I am so glad I did the prep yesterday, it will be great for you if you get yours out of the way, more time for fun the , have a good day, xx

    ReplyDelete