Tuesday, 20 December 2016

A random post about the last few days.



Welcome to my new follower Shabana.

Yesterday we went shopping, it is very rare for us to go to Tesco or Sainsbury's these days , we tend to stick to Asda and Morrison's which are only a few minutes away from us, the other mentioned supermarkets means going out and getting stuck in the city traffic.

So we went out to get the Christmas food & drink, the Morrison's vouchers I had collected this year paid for five bottles of wine, this will be for Christmas and New Year. We also went to Sainsbury's , the shopping there was all free using a gift card and some nectar points. The dessert only cost a couple pounds after using a voucher which Jack gave us, I also had a few club card vouchers to use.


We have got a Christmas Pudding but will have that on boxing day  probably.
So we will be tucking into this with some lovely clotted cream on the day.





The vouchers paid for most of the shopping. 

We got the turkey crown from Sainsbury's, and we popped into Aldi to get some Stollen, and we saw some lovely beef joints, we haven't had beef for absolutely ages, so we thought we could have some on New Years Day.


The beef will be cut into two pieces for the freezer.





I finished the decorating the Christmas Cake last week, and at the weekend I made gingerbread and some shortbread, I bought a yule log and the mince pies, I do usually make them but I really love the ones in Morrison's.

I have all the vegetables stored in a cool place all I need to do is get some sprouts in a few days time. 

We didn't buy a cheese board, just some Stilton and Brie, as the fridge is full of cheddar and red leicester because the little corner shop which I have been getting bargains for closed down, everything in the freezers and chillers even though in good date where being sold off at ridiculous prices, and not liking to miss out we bought as much as we could fit in the freezer, carte d'or ice cream was only 70p a tub, Magnums only 70p a box, I had about 10 blocks of cheese for 40p each, stork baking butter for 25p  and much more.

I also stocked up on toothpaste last week I spotted these on the clearance shelf in Asda.


The fridge and freezer and cupboards are never bare here, there are so many bargains to be had.





Today I have had a very productive morning despite having a banging headache, John has a really bad cold again and neither of us has had much sleep.
So before 10.30 I changed the sheets, did the washing, washed and unloaded the dishes, made a pork casserole in the slow cooker, cleaned the cooker inside and out.


Did the ironing from yesterday, and steamed the kitchen floor.


If I can find some energy I shall have a little walk later, if not we might have a relaxing lazy afternoon, watch a film and have a snooze on the sofa. Tomorrow is another day anything else what needs doing will have to wait.

20 comments:

  1. There must be something big happening.....everyone is cleaning....lol.
    Hope you have a lovely Christmas-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we only had our oven new when we moved here I am determined to look after it and give it a 'proper' clean at the end of every month.
      Thankyou Shelia, have a lovely Christmas yourself xx

      Delete
  2. It looks like you're all set for the big day Marlene. I hope John is feeling much better soon and you can both get good night's sleep. I think I'll be getting my food shopping on Thursday evening. After that I can just relax and enjoy some time off. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules I am just about there now, I have been making notes over the last few weeks to make sure I don't forget anything. Doing your shopping on Thursday will be better than Christmas Eve xxx

      Delete
  3. I hope your headache isn't a sign of you catching Johns cold. Excellent bargains from your old corner shop and a lovely piece of beef. We just have our veggies to buy and we're done xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl I have been dosing up with vitamin C and Zinc, so far no signs. Looking forward to the beef, glad you are nearly sorted, at least you can relax and enjoy the build up then, nothing worse than rushing around the last minute xx

      Delete
  4. I drove into Colchester today and met a few friends. It was lovely because I didn't need anything so it was stressless. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case you are not around before Christmas, have a lovely day; it looks as if you are all set food wise! Hope the headache goes soon.
    Nadolig Llawen ~~~ Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Deborah, have a lovely time yourself, x

      Delete
  6. A great 'haul' on the toothpaste....which reminds me to check my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a good brand, that is the cheapest I have ever seen toothpaste.

      Delete
  7. Whooohoo Christmas is coming I'm excited lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. It definitely is a busy month for us all! Tesco have had some lovely desserts in this month. I bought 32 profiteroles stacked in a box and it was BOGOF - for just £6. All freezable too. I still have one or 2 gifts to buy but most of the wrapping is done. My eldest granddaughter (age 3) said today "Nanny, were you asleep last night?", " yes" I said, to which she answered "well Santa didn't come and put any presents under your tree, did he?" . Therefore perhaps I should put the presents under the tree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your little granddaughter, I bet all the grandchildren are excited.
      What a shame I just missed out on that offer at Tesco.

      Delete
  9. My goodness, your home will now be squeaky clean! And what wonderful shopping bargains - I'm particularly impressed with all those toothpastes, and decent stuff, too, which his usually an horrendous price. I just hope you're not running yourself into the ground, doing all this, and poor John isn't well, so do take care you don't go down with the dreaded lurgi. We still have our Christmas shopping (food shopping, I mean) to do, maybe tomorrow rather than Thursday when everyone will be stocking up as if for a siege. But I have, at long last, made the Christmas cake today. I always tend to do it late and it's always absolutely delicious. I will put the almond paste on tomorrow (home-made, of course, no shop-bought marzipan which isn't a bit like real almond-paste to me.)
    Your oven looks immaculate! You can come and do mine next time it needs a thorough clean, it will save me £s as I have been having a professional oven cleaner once a year, and I put it on to steam clean between times - I didn't know I could do this; it only took the professional oven cleaner to tell me my oven had this facility! Did himself out of a job ... well, almost!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret, the oven is quite good as inside the sides are self cleaning, so it is only the racks and door which need doing inside, I bought a couple of cheap small baking trays and cover with foil and they sit perfectly side by side in the bottom to catch any spills. Since it is not that old I am determined to keep it sparkly.I had a cough last night so I am hoping this is not the start, I will keep dosing up with the vitamin c and zinc, I don't really intend doing much at all the next few days. Good luck with your shopping I hope it is not too crazy out there.

      Delete
  10. Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas and best wishes for the New Year. I also wanted to thank you for all your tips with vouchers and such. Bit by bit I have started to reduce my shopping bill, your help has been appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you, thankyou so much that it very kind of your.
      Happy Christmas and New Year to you and your family x

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.