Wednesday, 30 November 2016


Welcome to my new follower Jess y.


Hope you are all keeping well and warm, temperatures have really dropped it was -4 here last night.





It has just been a normal thrifty week for us so far.

This week I noticed the dishwasher tablets I buy had gone up 30p, saving money is going to get a lot harder with all the price rises, so I need to be more thrifty.




I have never bothered much with batch cooking for the freezer, we have only got a small freezer, and I don't want to fill it up with all the same things. But when making something it is a sensible to cook a double lot. So I have decided that when I get my reduced bargains instead of just putting all the meat right in the freezer I should do something with it, saving me time and electric.

So I made two Cottage Pies - one to eat and one for the freezer.

Using reduced items of course.

I bought one pack of mince for £1.75 and the next day bought the other one for just 75p, I visit a little local shop daily now as they have so many bargains if you get there first thing in the morning.




Whilst the potatoes were boiling I thought it was a good idea to cook some veg, so this will just be popped in the microwave later to go with this weeks Cottage Pie. Also I used the water from the steamer to make the jug of gravy.






Some reduced plums stewed down with some apple and spices- to be used for breakfast with yogurt or to go on the top of porridge.



I buy our cheese from Farm Foods as it is such good value. But if served in great big chunks in a sandwich it disappears in no time, so it gets grated and put into tubs, this way it uses less in a sandwich and it makes life easy when there is grated cheese to hand.






Tonight's tea will be a sausage plait with some baked beans.

Sausage Meat - which I have had in the freezer for ages , it was 9p, yes 9p, The pastry was 55p as where the mushrooms, a few onions, and some homegrown peppers from the freezer, that will be another cheap and tasty meal.




More thrifty things.

I have done a bit of hand washing as well, when there has just been an odd few items to wash. Saving the water of course.



I have just sorted out more books and dvd's and sold on ziffit.com ,and made another £23.99, which is amazing as they were all second hand and I got more than what I paid for them.

Still more to sort out in the next day or two.

I received a £10 gift voucher, this will go towards a Turkey Crown. I also have £25 of vouchers from Morrisons's which I saved in the last year, I did have more but I had to use some before they expired.
We are going to have a simple Christmas, we usually have a little buffet Christmas Eve, then there will be a three course lunch on Christmas Day, Boxing Day is leftovers, I have made our Christmas cake, just need to decorate it, a few mince pies and a yule log, and a tub of chocolates, a few bottles of wine, what more do you need, we shan't be filling a trolley up to the brim at the supermarket and then gorging ourselves silly for the following weeks after.




I do love plants and flowers indoors, but avoiding the potted bulbs in the Supermarkets for £5.00 upwards I planted my own.

I have several pots of Hyacinths all planted at different times, I am hoping when one finishes I can bring another one in.

I have bought a couple in from the greenhouse which are just coming through.



Amaryliss just starting to show - the first time I have grown one of these.



The Christmas Decorations will be coming out at the weekend so I will be back then with a festive post.


Due to being targeted by "Spammers" all comments on this blog will now go through comment moderation.

21 comments:

  1. It's so nice to find reduced items. We don't have a nearby Morrisons but Sainsbury's are pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the Opposite for me I have Morrisons nearby and Asda, but Asda are not that good for bargains, but I have discovered a little corner shop as well which are very good.

      Delete
  2. We haven't have a frost - maybe the sea air has prevented it! I once drove to Totnes from Paignton when there had been a hoar frost and the countryside looked magical, just like my vision of Narnia.
    We only have a three-drawer freezer as part of our large fridge/freezer, too, Marlene, but I always make two cottage pies (three if they are two-person portions), and fish pies, and always when I make soup, but right now we've had all the ready-mades (ready-made at home, I mean) out of the fridge. I have been thinking of getting a small freezer to have elsewhere (maybe the garage) but I know I'd forget what was in it and then I'd not want to trudge down to the garage to fish something out (no pun intended).
    I don't have a microwave. Our younger son doesn't have one and so I reckon we're the last two people in the country to be microwave-free.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved here the the property came with all appliances, we had our own tumble dryer in the last place we rented that came with us, the landlord asked if we wanted the washing machine, freezer and cooker to stay,the cooker went because it was well past it, so we had bought our own new one,but we kept the landlord's washing machine and fridge freezer.The fridge freezer died on us so he replaced with this other one which has a bigger fridge section but smaller 3 drawer freezer, but I can cope with that now we have shops right on the doorstep. Again we could have bought our own, but thought it would be better to wait until we have our own place again. I am not a big microwave fan we bought ours to keep us going until our cooker was delivered, I use for baked potatoes and warming up a leftovers for example if I cook a roast I make enough so we can have some more the next day, but I could easily live without it.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a microwave either, or a dishwasher, or a coffee maker, or a full sized cooker ( just a mini oven with 2 rings on top). I don't feel like I am missing out by not having any of them :)

      Delete
    3. It just goes to show how well we can cope, you are an inspiration to us all Scarlet with your thrifty ways, love your blog, xx

      Delete
  3. Yum, your sausage plait sounds very tasty. I often double up when I make a shepherds pie or lasagne. Your bulbs are going to look fab xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, we have just finished it, it was delicious,the men were full of praise. It is sensible to double up. Saves on time, energy and washing up.
      It will be lovely when the hyacinths fill the bungalow with a wonderful scent.xxx

      Delete
  4. Great money saving ideas. The sausage plait dies sound scummy. Prices are on the rise for sure. It's going to be another frosty night the temperatures are dropping now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tania, it went down very well. The price rises are scary because things seeming to be going up by more than an odd penny or two. The frost stayed here all day, it is extremely cold again now, stay warm .

      Delete
  5. Your frosty photographs are beautiful Marlene. I've noticed quite a few price rises in the last few weeks. Something to keep an eye on. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou Jules I might take some more frosty snaps tommorow for my albums.We certainly do need to keep a beady eye on the prices. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cottage pie photo has reminded me to buy some more foil baking trays! I do cook extra & freeze but sometimes curse when I've run out of oven proof/freezable dishes/trays. I find Home Bargains are the cheapest for foil trays where we live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes when I buy my bargains, the trays are suitable for reusing. But you are right about Home Bargains, such good prices I regularly walk up there now if I want something as it is usually cheaper than the supermarket.

      Delete
  8. I wish I had thought about bulbs, I do love to have them but obviously don't want to pay the price at the stores. I use my freezer all the time and do a lot of batch cooking, I do hope that it is saving me money but it certainly saves me time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be saving you money on the washing, fuel and as you say time.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the welcome (assume that's me!), that frost is wonderful!

      Delete
  9. I'd noticed there was a lot of spam being in left in various comments these day.

    You are so good with your money saving tips, and no one can spot a yellow sticker the way you do!

    When it comes to Christmas, I really am of the 'each to their own' way of thinking. However! When I see the over full, groaning trolleys, so full people can hardly push them, and the wheels look like they're about to buckle under the weight, I want to say to the people throwing all this stuff in the trolley 'really? do you REALLY need all of that? Won't most of it get thrown out?' Because unless you are feeding a lot of people, it does seem a bit much. But, none of my business. I can't help be quite glad of myself, I just buy a few extras each week so that closer to the day all I have to do is decide on the meat we'll have and then get that.
    Price increases are sneaking in each week. Bill just looks at me when I start rambling on about things 'not going up by a penny, oh no, it's ten pence here, twenty pence there and they think we don't notice'! It's true, they don't just put them up a tiny bit, it's 10,20, 30 pence, and it all adds up.

    I've rambled. Sorry! Love your frosty pics. We've had some beautiful mornings this week. Have a wonderful weekend. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sadie for your kind words, I think everyone knows by now why we are like this, the months are ticking away for us, we so want that house but in the meantime I will keep thrifting. It is a good idea to do it the way you are with a few things every week. xxx

      Delete
    2. Have a lovely weekend yourself Sadie, enjoy your decorating xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.