Saturday, 26 November 2016

Crafting



Hello & Welcome to my new followers Melissa & Helen .

I can't believe it has been over a week since I posted here, I guess it is that time of year when there is always so much to do, and also I seem to spend more time on Instagram now.

Now I am not a naturally crafty person, I sold both of my sewing machines this year, I had a basic one and I won a really expensive one in a competition, I don't really enjoy sewing and am not really good at it, and another factor my eyes are getting worse, I have two pairs of glasses, one for computer work and one for reading/ close up work.


I have done a few crafty things this week though.



I was looking for a really large pinecone but couldn't find one, but spotted a pinecone candle.



With a few bits and bobs I turned it into a little Christmas Tree. The base is an empty tea light holder with some glittery tape wrapped around it.





As I say sewing is not my thing but I spotted a felt decoration kit in Poundland , it had everthing you need apart from glue to make three heart Christmas Decorations, ( I did modify mine a bit ) .The stitching is not brilliant but not to bad for the first time doing blanket stitch.




Then I made some more gift tags.


I have a big bag of recycled greetings cards and magazine scraps/images, so I have decided I should make a few cards every week.


This was one of the slate hearts which I bought at the Christmas Market for £1.00 .



I have always fancied trying Decoupage, so thought I would give it a go.

I gave the heart two coats of emulsion, I bought several of these from Asda for the bargain price of 40p a while back.




Then I found these lovely Robin serviettes.

First you have to remove  the top layer of the serviette , then slightly dampen a paint brush and go around the image.




 Then you go around gently tear it away, it doesn't matter how scruffy it looks as long as you use a suitable background paint colour it will blend in.




Then I used some of this wonderful Mod Podge stuff , it acts as a glue, sealer and finish all in one.
 I placed the image on the heart and glued over the top of it, it is a very delicate job as you have to be careful not to tear the serviette. I allowed to dry over night and then gave the whole heart covering with it to finish it off, it just gives it a slight varnished look.


Just to mention if it looks a bit blotchy in a few areas, it is because it wasn't completely dry when I took this picture.





I have to say I really enjoyed making it and was quite impressed, not bad for my first go, and it was easy, I think I have found a craft I will enjoy, I have some more projects in mind now.

So are you crafty or not ? What is your favourite craft ?

36 comments:

  1. That is brilliant.I am always looking for new crafts to try so will give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pinecone looks fantastic, what a great idea.

    I usually detest decoupage with a passion, but what you've done with the heart is very pretty, so much more than the sum of the parts. To buy one like that would cost a fair bit I would think, very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, your right it would have been expensive, I used very little of the paint and modpodge, so it really worked out quite cheap.

      Delete
  3. Great projects well executed. They look lovely Marlene. I know what you mean about the time disappearing at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tania, yes time is going very quickly, just seem to be so busy lately.

      Delete
  4. How clever you are! That pine cone Christmas tree is wonderful. We went to the Gloucester Quays market last Sunday afternoon, thinking that most people would have been and gone home by then. Not likely - it was absolutely heaving, we bought nothing as we couldn't get anywhere near the stalls! I did catch a glimpse of the stall selling those slate things, I'd have bought a couple if I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you, that was nice, we went on the first day, I do wish I got more of the hearts, there will be a bit of a market here in Cheltenham in a few weeks, so I am hoping that stall will be there.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. I have always thought that Modpodge was an American thing. How good to know we can get it here. Your hearts, all of them, look very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very inspiring. Love the heart.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The heart looks lovely, you've done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What lovely things you have made! I'm totally useless at making things (apart from cooking, I mean), I love the little pink cone candle tree best of all!
    Margaret P
    www.margaretpowling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Margaret, I am pleased with my creations, I do enjoy my baking as well.

      Delete
    2. Baking today was a one-layer almond cake with water icing and flaked almonds on top (all eaten now, family over for tea and cake at 3 pm) and also a banana and walnut loaf, only 1/3rd eaten, plenty for us for the rest of the week. This cake is better then 2nd day when it is quite cold, cuts well, and then can be buttered, it's a lovely tea bread.
      Margaret P
      www.margaretpowling.com

      Delete
    3. That sounds lovely, I have bananas to use up so I might do a banana bread.

      Delete
  9. I love all of your projects, but the heart really did impress me Marlene, a real delight. I enjoy most crafts but crochet I find the most relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much, I am going to do the other one soon, I am afraid I am no good at knitting or crochet, but it is nice you have found something relaxing.

      Delete
  10. I do love the hearts, and I think if the stitching is not perfect that is just fine as it shows it was made with love. The robin is a good use of the slate heart too.
    My favourite craft these days is anything that is messy, but I'll turn my hand to anything that catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Deborah, it is the craft for me I think, I shall look out for some more things to transform.

      Delete
  11. Great makes and I really love the heart slate Marlene. It looks brilliant and can be displayed at any time not just Christmas. Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie, yes it could really, I am going to do a few more with different animals and birds, x

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  12. How clever, I've only seen slate used as pictures years ago, the picture was glued on then it and the slate were covered with a clear varnish several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, yes it is a very simple process.

      Delete
  13. everything turned out so prettily. You have been a busy bee! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely makes, Marlene. I like the pine cone tree best. X

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.