Monday, 17 October 2016



Welcome to my new follower Tania, I can't believe I have had four new followers in 2 days, brilliant !


Well we have been warned about the "Brexit" food price rises, I have noticed several things in the last few days that have gone up not by just a couple of pence,  I have noticed some of my regular buys have gone up one by 32p and one by 35p, it is shocking.





So for all us folks on a budget or living on a small income, we need to shop smarter. 

I am doing very well with the "yellow sticker" shopping, but yellow stickers are mostly on fresh foods.


So when I spot an offer on something we regularly use I have to make the most of it.

250g jars of Marmite are on offer for £2.00 in Asda (usually £2.35) and I printed off some 40p off coupons. So with the offer and my coupons I saved 75p a jar.








So as well as "yellow sticker" shopping, I am going to concentrate more on making the most of deals which when you use a coupon makes it even better.

I don't just go out and buy something just because there is a coupon, I check out all the supermarkets and see if there are any offers.


Another thing which I am loving are shopping apps, sometimes you can get things completely free, sometimes you can claim more than once, myself, husband and son are all registered with a few companies, the favourite and the one which has the best deals ishttps://www.checkoutsmart.com/deals  and there are also a few others companies which are not so good which we occasionally use.

If you haven't tried them it is worth looking into it. You simply purchase the product  and then upload your receipt , and the money gets paid back to you through Paypal.

You must remember if you are claiming on more than one account, put the item through as a seperate transaction.

I spotted a new offer today.

So today I picked up these.

Usually £2.00 a pack. 

But using checkout smart, they are completely free.







So unless money is no object we all need to be more savvy shoppers.

So have you noticed any big prices rises in the supermarket ?

25 comments:

  1. Yes! We usually buy Sainsbugs own brand 500g packs of butter (the proper hard kind, not the spreadable stuff that's half buttermilk and half oil), it's been £1.65 for ages. Well, last week we noticed it had gone up to £2.05...a rise of 40p. Disgraceful!

    You do fantastically well with yellow stickered stuff....we hardly ever get bargains that good, I guess we must go at the wrong time - either too early and they've not yet reduced things to that extent, or too late and there's nothing left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40p is disgraceful, I don't have much luck in the week, I just tend to stick to Sundays now.

      Delete
  2. Sainsbury's own slightly salted English butter has gone from 85p to £1.15. Why??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really so it seems butter is one of the things which everyone seems to have notice an increase.

      Delete
  3. I don't have the advantage of yellow sticker shopping, but I do notice prices going both up and down like yoyos. I've seen one thing I buy regularly be anything between 90p and £1.80 with no rhyme or reason why it is 95p this week, £1.80 next week, and £1.45 the following week. Best I can do is keep an eye on things and buy a stock when they hit their lowest offer. I am starting to shop more and more in the value ranges all the time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pricing is crazy isn't it, nothing wrong with value ranges.

      Delete
  4. You do so very well on your yellow stickers, hubby and I spoke about the rising food prices this weekend. We buy on special prices and will get more than we need, if the item allows us to store it. We all have to watch our spending in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, if you have space it is the sensible thing to do, I wonder with Christmas coming whether they will take the **** even more with the higher prices.

      Delete
  5. I went shopping this morning and yes I have noticed a large jump in some of the basic items. We do indeed need to be more savvy shoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I stopped working I have been paying a lot more attention to what food I buy. Unfortunately there aren't too many markdowns here, sometimes on meat but I don't buy a lot of it. I do keep an eye out what is on sale and whether it is actually a good sale or just advertising. I also try to shop seasonal produce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easier to be a more savvy shopper when you are a homemaker and have more time for getting organised.
      Thankyou for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. I've found that since I left my "proper" job I have a lot more time to look for bargains. ... but I never find as many as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have not noticed price rises yet but I have noticed some things have "shrunk". Same price, less product!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all a bit scary isn't it, we do try and shop about. We have a Lidl opening near us soon which should be good xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love going to Lidl, the one hear in Cheltenham is in the middle of the town and you have to go in a proper car par and take your trolley in a lift, it is a real pain in the butt, they are rebuilding one in Gloucester so me might pop there now and again. xx

      Delete
  10. Yes prices are creeping up. Like you I want to really take advantage of coupons etc so I am going to have a food cash kitty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, next year I will be doing the same, instead of doing a monthly challenge I am going to have a budget for the year and if I go over one month the next month it will have to come under.

      Delete
  11. A word of warning if you care about the food you eat (and this is purely from my personal experience). Those Birds Eye fish products, which look so attractive on the packaging? Well, they attracted me, too and I thought how tasty they were - but before I bought more, I was intrigued by the name of the fish used . . Basa . . .so I Googled. They are bottom-feeding catfish (also sold as Vietnamese Cobbler) from the Mekong Delta, in an area which is highly polluted by the many chemical factories along its
    banks, which pour their waste straight into the river. This results in highly toxic water, causing excessive growth and deformities in the fish. Horrific!!! I have warned many people and now always search the ingredients of any fish that I buy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I will take some time this week to check out some of these voucher sites. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it goes a bit quiet and then you get a load more new offers, it just depends what you could make use of, worth checking regularly.x

      Delete
  13. I buy the supermarket own brand version of Marmite. I had no complaints from my chaps so have stuck with it.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.