Wednesday, 31 August 2016

What to grow next?



Just thinking about what I should be sowing/planting next ?

I don't really have a great deal of seeds.
The pack of Rocket I picked up for 20p I might sow some of those today, along with winter lettuce.




The last of the spuds have been dug, these should keep us going for a few weeks.


Last night's harvest.




I still have two Green Pepper Plants they are doing very well.


Mixed colour Pepers

Still lots of Chilli's 


The nine Cabbage plants which we bought from Wyevale reduced to 50p for the lot have been planted out, they had a little attack from the Cabbage Whites, but this has put a stop to them.



Only a few Courgettes left.


Cucumbers were a big fail, I did sow regular Cucumbers and Mini Munch and only one Mini Munch plant grew and this is all it has on it and it looks to be know good. 


Tom's are still going strong.



So when I have some space when everything has finished, I need to get something else in.

I shall do some more of the White Lisbon Spring Onions and also Giant Winter Spinach which done very well last year.

Even though we have only got a small growing area and the greenhouse, growing some produce has saved us money, and it does taste better.

So I need some ideas as what to put in the ground outside next, and also can anything be grown inside the greenhouse in pots in the Winter?

Any ideas or advice please ?

20 comments:

  1. Oh, to have the luxury of a greenhouse! I know my neighbours bring on their Broad beans in theirs, sowing in November {I think} and they are cropping weeks ahead of everyone else. What about leeks and Swiss chard? Onions and garlic too, if sown in the next couple of weeks while it is still warm. I've seen a lot of people start their onions off in modules in the greenhouse too. I'll be looking to see what others say too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, should clarify ~ leeks, Swiss chard, onions and garlic for outside!

      Delete
    2. Thankyou Deborah, some good ideas there x

      Delete
  2. I have had some success digging my chili peppers, potting them and keeping them in the greenhouse overwinter. Get some peppers over the winter, but most benefit is in having a mature plant to put out in the spring and get peppers earlier. Fall garden here includes onions (multipliers), cabbage, greens (turnip greens, mustard, collards and kale), Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower. Radishes if we sow early and can harvest before it gets too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only grow in the summer and this year we'll clear the plot and incorporate manure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manure is something we need to get and dig in xx

      Delete
  4. I have just planted potatoes for Christmas dinner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those peppers look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, very pleased with my growing efforts this year.

      Delete
  6. Ruddy cabbage white.....grrrrrr. They have had alot of my cabbage. Hoping I've saved the sprouts and cauliflower. Only time will tell. I don't grow as much in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your toms are so good! Ours have been rubbish this year, and they're in the greenhouse so you'd think they'd have done much better.
    Actually, everything has been rubbish this year! But, at least I have my white pumpkin.

    Thanks for your comment. I think your blog is just fine, and you haven't messed us about. There are times when we need a change and there is nothing wrong with trying, and reverting back if that's what you want. Nothing wrong at all.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your kind words Sadie, they would have been left in pots but because we had the three weeks in Spain and the garden was left unattended they had a chance to live or die, but likely they were fine, they do taste lovely and sweet. xxx

      Delete
  8. What a shame about your cucumbers. I started off with two Mini Munch plants but one keeled over so I was left with just one but it's producing more than I can eat, I'm passing some to my mum and dad. I usually sow some spring onions in containers around this time, they get going before winter arrives and though they don't do much during the colder weather, they take off again in spring and you end up with a nice crop much sooner than you otherwise would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to the cucumbers again next year, I will crack on with the spring onions, xx

      Delete
  9. November is a good time to plant your garlic outside, it needs a cold spell for it to form separate cloves. Pots of potatoes in your green house maybe? You could plant out broad beans in the garden but we find it makes little difference to the crop whether sown in the Autumn or early spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your advice, I think I will do some more potatoes for sure.

      Delete
  10. I've been rubbish at growing this year, just a few banana shallots. I'm resting the bed!!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.