Thursday, 25 August 2016

Preserving Summer



A few makes for the pantry (well cupboards really, a pantry? maybe one day a girl can dream).

On a walk I found enough Blackberries to make some Blackberry Vodka.






We have had plenty of tomatoes there was a kilo sat in the fridge so I thought a bit of relish would be nice.


This recipe is based on a kilo, but obviously can be adjusted to how many toms you have.


1 kg Tomatoes
1 med/large Onion
100g Granulated Sugar
Few pinches of Sea Salt
100 ml Red Wine Vinegar
Chilli Flakes - a few good pinches

Cook the Tomatoes and onion together until it is a thick pulp. 
Add the other ingredients and cook until a thick consistency.
Then pop into sterilised jars.


It is really nice, a nice little kick from the Chilli flakes.



Then I thought a few jars of Courgette & Onion Relish would be nice.





We still have plenty of potatoes, tomatoes and courgettes .

I have started to harvest the Chillies, I only grew one plant and it must have around 30 Chillies on it. When some are ready I just chop them up and put them in  a little pot and pop in the freezer, my one plant will see me through until next year.





Next thing is the peppers, they are nearly ready.

Very pleased with my harvest this year.

Potatoes, Courgettes, Tomatoes, Radish, Lettuce, Spring Onions, Chillies and Peppers.

Only a small growing area here but it has been well worth it, certainly saves a few pennies.

16 comments:

  1. Hi. Love the relish. How long does it keep?☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Foxglove not sure, it has vinegar and sugar in it so I am treating like a shop bought pickle, once opened I will keep in the fridge, but I don't see as it will go off quick xx

      Delete
  2. Oh I used to love making all my own pickles, relishes and jams but we just don't eat enough to warrant making it anymore.
    That tomato looks so delicious-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a cheese night now and then and hubby loves a cheese sandwich so they soon get used up x

      Delete
  3. Love your plentiful produce. Our veg pickings are very meager indeed. It has generally been too cold, windy and rainy during the summer over here.
    The only thing that's growing like mad are the nasturtiums and now I hate the blummin' barstewards. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blackberry voddy, sounds good! Love the idea of making your own relishes, sounds delicious and you know exactly what's in it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shot before bed in the winter warms you right up, yes I agree with the relishes x

      Delete
  5. I thought I had finished bottling things for this year but your tomato relish sounds delish, I will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it because it is so quick and easy to make.

      Delete
  6. I have already made tomato chutney and relish for this year but I do like the sound of the courgette and onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make Marrow but thought courgette and onion would work well.

      Delete
  7. I've just made beetroot relish and chilli jam. I have tons of tomatoes that have to be turned into something soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do beetroot, but I must next year.

      Delete
  8. If only we could preserve some Summer weather too. The relish looks good. It's something else I've never made before. I've just taken the malt loaf out of the oven! 😊

    ReplyDelete