Wednesday, 20 July 2016


There are plenty of jobs that need doing in the garden but I just haven't got the energy with this heat so I have been doing a little bit here and there.


I have sown more Radishes in a bucket, I already have two buckets with Radishes in and they have been a great success,  I pulled up the last of the spring onions as they were getting a bit tatty (nothing gets wasted here), and done another sowing. I had a few Micro Salad seeds left just enough to do another tray, and I also done another tray of lambs lettuce. I will continue to do regular sowings for a while so there are plenty of lettuce and salad leaves to go  with all the lovely tomatoes, which are just starting to ripen.





Here is my little harvest from the garden today.








The Courgettes are doing very well, they are loaded.





A few other random garden photos.









The garden bench and chairs from freecycle have been transformed.





 One thing about this hot weather it has left the four water butts completely dry which means taking water from the kitchen which I don't like doing, but never mind I am sure we will have some rain soon.

22 comments:

  1. Same here, water butts bone dry. Had to get the hose out but ive saved a lot of water this year so I don't mind. I've got some lambs lettuce coming along too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time this week we have had to get water from indoors, but if we get these thunderstorms it soon fills up. I like growing the lambs lettuce and micro salad, to go along with the normal lettuce.

      Delete
  2. There's nothing better than titbiting round the garden for today's munchies, currently my favourite is bacon and broad beans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos and a brilliant harvest, isn't it great collecting food from the garden, no food miles whatsoever. Your bench makeover is fantastic, it looks as good as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can never grow on a big scale in this garden, but I am happy with the few things I have been growing. The bench is really nice.

      Delete
  4. Your spring onions look good - I am hopeless at those. Good bench makeover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I have had a good spring onion crop.
      Very pleased with the bench.

      Delete
  5. that's a good harvest, and your garden is looking good. We've just had a bit of rain. Actually, we've had a storm with thunder, lightning, heavy rain, and a hailstones the size of plums. I'm not even joking. Never seen hail like it.
    So hopefully, you'll have a bit of rain (sans hailstones) soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sadie, they did forecast rain today but it passed us by, it needs a good thunderstorm to clear the air xx

      Delete
  6. A great harvest, there is nothing like the taste of home grown. It is just starting to rain here, a real downpour and quite the storm. We certainly needed it to clear the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you can't beat it, still no rain here.

      Delete
  7. Lovely home grown produce! And your garden is looking wonderful. So is the bench :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spring onions look great so does your seat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I agree, the spring onions look gorgeous. My first lot failed so have sown some more which hopefully will come up for late summer or Autumn. Great sunflowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, the sunflowers were free grown from seeds from the bird food.

      Delete
  10. Please tell me how you save your crops and flowers from the SLUGS!!! I hate them with a vengeance as they eat everything - my strawberries, raspberries, young plants, in fact anything emerging from the soil. Aaaarrrggghhh!!! I go out with a torch at dead of night and either pick them up in a paper towel and drop them in a bucket of water, or I put salt on them, but they are replaced immediately by more . . and more.
    Your flowers and harvest are so good from a small garden. sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have much trouble with slugs, I put pellets around the flowers but not on my veg area, but around the edge of the raised bed, I don't know what to suggest really sounds like you are doing all you can.

      Delete
  11. What a transformation of the bench! It looks lovely, did you actually replace the wooden slats? Oh, and your produce is lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, thankyou, the two chairs we had didn't need any new slats but we had to replace 5 of the bench ones x

      Delete