Thursday, 16 June 2016

We eat lots of salads, we always have mayo or salad cream but sometimes we have a little dressing for a change.

I forgot to get some the other day and it is so easy just to pop back up to the supermarket to get one thing and end up with a basket full. So I decided I would make some. My cupboards are always well stocked up I can rustle up most things.
Dear Hubby & Dear Son like Honey & Mustard, I tend to like an oil based or balsamic one. 

So I made two lots.


Balsamic Vinegar & Olive Oil Dressing.

1 sprig of fresh Thyme
1 spring of fresh Oregano
225 ml Olive Oil
5 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar 
Salt & Pepper to Season.

Just put the herbs right in the bottle or jar, then mix the rest of the ingredients and pour in.

The Balsamic will settle to the bottom, just needs a good shake before use.




Honey & Mustard Dressing

3 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
5 Tbsp Runny Honey
4 Tsp Dijon Mustard
1 Garlic Clove (Crushed) 
100ml Sunflower Oil
Salt and Pepper to season.

Again mix well and pour into bottle or jar.



Best kept a few days before use.

I always keep good jars and bottles, these maple syrup bottles were ideal.


Does any one else make there own dressings ?

14 comments:

  1. I made mayo for my "o"level home economics in 1981 - must have been ok as I passed! Not attempted any sauce or dressing since. Always wanted to make ketchup though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look lovely. I do make dressings but usually just enough for that meal. I prefer Balsamic & oil mixed wit a little chilli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might chuck a little chilli in it now , thanks for the idea x

      Delete
  3. Your dressings look yummy. I like making my own dressings but just make enough for the meal we are having at the time. I'm afraid I don't use recipes....just bung it in and hope for the best and one of our favourites is one made with apple juice, honey and mustard which I serve with a spinach salad topped with smoked cheese and walnuts.
    Your garden looks beautiful after all your hard work-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spinach salad, thankyou about the garden x

      Delete
  4. I haven't but I will now! I always buy ours, but am inspired by your post to make my own. Thank you for sharing - they look delicious!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Cathy if the rest of the family like them I will do them again x

      Delete
  5. They all look great but oh honey mustard, my very fav!!!! Now we have lots of herbs I would really like to give dressings a go, also I'm planning on having a bas hat making mayonnaise. In fact, I'm going to try it after breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A simple herb dressing would be nice, let us know how you get on with mayo x

      Delete
  6. I do but only enough for each meal, such a good idea to save good bottles and make up a large quantity, how long does it keep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how long it would keep but in oils and vinegar should be fine, I probably won't have made so much in the winter but we eat tons of salad this time of year x

      Delete
  7. As well as being delicious the bottles look very decorative. The taste of salad cream takes me back to Saturday tea salads when I lived at home. It's great you are able to enjoy home made dressings on home grown salad. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules homemade is nice, I have had the bottles in the cupboard for ages, hubby things I am a bit of a jar hoarder but they always come in useful x

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.