Saturday, 12 March 2016

What a difference in the weather today, Spring has Sprung.

When I pulled back the curtains this morning, I saw a lot of buzzing around the Weeping Cherry Tree. I went to investigate and there must have been 50 or more little Bees's after the pollen.



This morning I spent a little time in the kitchen.

I found some reduced Red Onions yesterday, we are on our last jar of Caramelised Red Onion Chutney, so I thought I would make some.

The recipe makes about 4 jars, but I didn't have enough Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar left so I just halved the recipe, and made a couple of jars.

Here is the recipe I use.

For 4 jars.

8 Red Onions
1 Red Chilli
25 ml Olive Oil
200g Brown Sugar
150ml Balsamic Vinegar
150ml Red Wine Vinegar
2 Bay leaves

Chop the Onions & Chilli into short thin slices and put in a pan with the Bay leaves & Olive Oil. Cook on a very low heat for around 20 mins.

Then add the Sugar and the Vinegars and simmer for around 20 mins or so, until the chutney is thick and dark.


We love this Chutney, as with most things so much nicer than shop bought.

One jar for us and our son loves it so I will give him the other jar.

I will have to stock up with more vinegar's then next time I will make a big batch.




On Sophie's blog http://myempireofdirtgarden.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/happy-days-yarning-along.html she made some Pickled Eggs, and after seeing that I fancied some, we haven't had them for years, so I thought I would make some.

This is the recipe I used.

8 Eggs
15g Pickling Spice
500ml Malt Vinegar
3 tbsp Brown Sugar.


Hard Boil the eggs.
Allow to cool and remove the shells.
Put the vinegar in a saucepan, add the sugar and the pickling spice.
Stir and bring to the boil and and simmer for around 10 mins.
Allow to cool.
That's it simple.
Best left for a few weeks.


Looking forward to trying them. 
I have a huge collection of jars now, our darling son gets his uni house mates to save them.




After lunch we went out for a nice walk, I went on my fitness machine this morning as well. 

I didn't bake today as we fancied some Hot Cross Buns, so we got some on our way back home. 2 packs for £1.00, one went in the freezer, hubby had two for tea and I had one.




We also had a browse in Home Bargains. I found these for the bargain price of 79p.
I love Petunias and Sweet Peas, I have never grown Sweet Peas before, it will be lovely to grow them and pick them to put in a vase, I just love the smell.








When we came back from our walk we had a cup of Earl Grey in the garden.





We sat in our chairs and the warm sun was shining down, it was just lovely.


Also today I received one of my Easter/Spring swap parcels from my lovely friend Fiona.http://lucys-cottage.blogspot.co.uk



I will show you the gifts next week.
I have opened them, once again thankyou Fiona for such lovely gifts.

14 comments:

  1. Oh snap! I've made onion chutney today too :D and i received my parcel today , thank you so much! It is amazing :D shall i wait to show mine?
    Your garden is looking lovely, i don't dare show mine it is in such a state right now haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie, yes of course you can show,xxx

      Delete
  2. that looks so good, I love a good onion chutney. Yes, we've had a few very springlike days lately. Friday in particular was a glorious day, today looks much the same. I've got washing on my line too :O)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly makes me feel better when the sun is shining xx

      Delete
  3. Yum yum to the chutney. I've copied and pasted it for future use X thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome it is a lovely chutney recipe xx

      Delete
  4. Love onion chutney. Will have to try that one, thanks! Yes, Spring is springing all over now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saturday was a lovely day here too and today is absolutely beautiful too. It's so uplifting to see the sun and NO heating required today :) Sweetpeas are one of my favourite flowers too. I had them in my flower posy when I was my sister's bridesmaid at the age of 9 (she is 10 years older than me) The fragrance always takes me back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will be nice not to spend money on heating, you can't beat old fashioned garden flowers, x

      Delete
  6. I have finally been able to get out into the gardens, but the lawns are still like a marsh. At least some of the beds and pots are looking a little better. Love the sound of the chutney, I have made a note of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that chutney sounds like just the thing, copied and pasted, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete