Friday, 11 March 2016

Getting fit not fat

Hello & Welcome to my new follower Juliet.

Now I have been a size 12 now for a few years, but the during the winter months I do eat more and am less active, going through the early menopause and the tablets I have to take for 5 years contribute to weight gain. Some of my clothes are feeling not so comfortable as they should be, now I don't do diets and I am not going without a treat or two, I am not giving up chocolate, so I decided I just need a bit more exercise.

We do have a little walk daily if the weather is good and are always active in the summer months and we live on salads.

 I have been looking on Freecycle for weeks to see if there was an exercise bike, but no luck and then I saw this monster on the local ebay deals, and purchased it for the sum of £26.00.I was watching it , it had the starting bid of £25 I watched the auction countdown and I sneaked a bid in at the last minute.

It is a two in one, cross trainer and bike. We picked it up from a very posh house, the lady said she paid around the £300 mark for it and only used it a couple of times.
It is as new, a real bargain.


It is in the spare room, I can use it and watch the birds at the same time.





So this morning I popped on my new trainers which I got from Asda in the sale for £6



And had a half hour session to start.



I was lucky to find this Lateral thigh trainer on freecycle .



I enjoyed my little work out, I will do it about 3 maybe 4 times a week.



So how do you lovely people keep yourselves fit? Do you have any fitness equipment?

24 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene, like you, I don't do diets and won't go without wine or cake - my two weaknesses :) I do Tai Chi on a Monday evening, swimming on a Tuesday evening and have 45 minutes with a personal trainer every Saturday morning. It's all helping but like you I went through early menopause and have to take HRT - my weight has gone up since then and no matter what I do I can't shift it. So really I do the exercise things for my fitness and just accept being heavier than I used to be. C'est la vie and all that. Have a great weekend, your parcel is now on its way ! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fiona, I do like a glass of wine as well, you are so right C'est la via.
      I will let you know when the parcel arrives, have a lovely weekend xx

      Delete
  2. Great news! Exercise is a great way to get fit. I lost 2 stone in 4 months just by walking more but as soon as I started in the gym my weight loss stopped but my fitness levels soared. Sadly, due to being a full time carer all that weight took no time at all to return once I stopped working out. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Deborah, I do feel refreshed after exercise.

      Delete
  3. I've never been to a gym but I walk almost every day. I'm on a very restricted diet for a few weeks so am doing shorter walks. I'm trying to reverse my diabetes. You got a bargain with your equipment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day you can't beat a walk.

      Delete
  4. Impressive piece of equipment, what a bargain. I am afraid I don't really do much exercise apart from walking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great bargain. I like that it has a cross trainer as well as a bike. I walk Archie every day and we do have an exercise bike but it goes in fits and starts when I use it. I really want to start swimming but I'll wait until the weather warms up a bit first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes two in one is good, we are lucky to have the fourth spare bedroom, having a dog keeps you fit.

      Delete
  6. I had an exercise bike and a York treadmill, they took up so much room we got rid of them for free. I just count steps now and have at least one walk each day, I also jog on the spot in the kitchen waiting for the kettle to boil lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That maid me smile I can just picture you jogging in the kitchen x

      Delete
  7. Brilliant idea and a real bargain, sadly we do not have any room for exercise machines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky with this place we have never had 4 bedrooms before.

      Delete
  8. What great bargains. You are very disciplined. I am brilliant at excuses for avoiding exercise. I am also not great with equipment so I avoid the gym altogether. I am currently trying to do the 1000 miles in a year challenge but haven't noticed any changes yet. Maybe I am not doing enough. I may have to force myself into more action shortly as I have a special dress I need to get into in eighteen weeks and have been putting off trying it on for a good while now. It is so very easy to eat too much and avoid exercising during the winter months. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, sometimes it takes a while to see the difference, good luck with your challenge xx

      Delete
  9. fabulous. good for you.
    I walk as I don't drive. So quite often I will walk up to Asda, Morrisons, or Sainsbury's (which is furthest), plus I'm to and from school four times a day, but that's not much, a total of about half an hour or so.
    Sometimes I will do a Joanna Hall cardio workout, which makes sweat literally drip! And when I want something gentler, I do parts of the New York City Ballet workout, which I just love. I even wear ballet slippers when I do it!

    Have a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I walk on average 10000 steps away. Sometimes 12000. I plug my headphones in and stride out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of monitoring steps, I shall have to look into that, x

      Delete
  11. Can I have it when you get bored with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't get bored, I am determined, xx

      Delete
  12. That was a brilliant bargain, Marlene, and you seem very determined to get fitter, well done! I'm just increasing my walks but I really do have to be in the mood :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be doing more walking as well.

      Delete