Saturday, 13 February 2016


 Today I had a rummage in the fridge draws to see what needed using up.
I bought these lemons a couple of weeks ago , I was going to make a lemon cake , but never got to it, I only used half a one on Pancake Day.





So I made a jar of lemon curd.





This left me with one and a half lemons, which I sliced up for the freezer.



Nothing wasted here.

Then of course I was left with egg whites.




So I rustled up some meringues. I made eight in total.


While the oven was on I roasted a tray of sweet potato, peppers, tomato, onions, leek and celery which needed using up.


I made this into some lovely soup.










The postman turned up with some books for me today.





These came second hand from Amazon, some of the survey sites I do pay in Amazon vouchers so I usually go for books. These are very useful.

Also this one turned up. I confess I did pay for this one, I have been wanting it for a long while.





But I am going to be stricter now and only pick up books from the Carboot sale.



Right I'm off to bed now to snuggle up and read my books.






24 comments:

  1. Your books look fabulous - you will not be disappointed with Ronda's as it is a masterpiece

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like Rhonda's book too. I might drop some hints for Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that would be good, I ordered mine from Amazon, it gave an estimated delivery of about 6 weeks but it came in about 2 x

      Delete
  3. I have some lemons in that need using. Was going to make a lemon cake. Think I'll make lemon curd instead! X enjoy your reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou , I love lemon curd, I might try orange next time x

      Delete
  4. I didn't realise lemon curd was so easy until we made it in the microwave a short while ago. Love the books. I'm going to google 'Down to earth'it looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first time I made lemon curd and it is lovely x

      Delete
  5. Your lemon curd looks wonderful and the meringues...mmmm...and the roasted veg soup! I have the Jack Monroe book which I bought with Amazon vouchers and use it regularly, it's great although I do find that she doesn't season very much so I end up adding salt to some recipes. I suppose it's because she produced the recipes when cooking for a small child. Enjoy your books! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, I must admit I don't over season I think it is better to season yourself to your own tastes when on the plate x

      Delete
  6. I never thought of making just one jar of lemon curd. I still have my Shrove Tuesday oranges and lemons so maybe that will find itself on today's to do list. You truly do have making the most out of leftovers down to a fine art. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one at a time is enough as it needs to be stored in the fridge and I don't one dozens of jars taking up fridge space, I just can't waste anything now x

      Delete
  7. Pretty productive day then with nothing left over at the end. Great stuff.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good feeling to know you have done your best x

      Delete
  8. I used to love lemon curd when I was a child but it's years since I've had any. Hope you're enjoying the books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good choice of books, I have all three and they survive the annual cull so hopefully you will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No waste in this house either. Soup and lemon curd made just the other day and I used some of the lemon curd to make a lemon sponge pudding last night. Delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that you enjoy all your new books !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm yummy lemon curd.. never made it myself. Enjoy your new books :o) x

    ReplyDelete