Monday, 22 February 2016

Approved Foods

A few weeks ago I heard a few other bloggers mention Approved Foods, for those who have never heard it , it is an online retailer selling short date food and drinks, some of it is out of date, some is near to the date and there is still lots of products in date.

I have used in the past and they have always been very good, I haven't had anything for nearly a year so I thought I would do an order.


I spent under £50 inc postage, some of the items were for our son, I won't show you everything or I will be here all day. Here are some of my best buys.

The Naan breads had Jan date on them, it was four packs of 2 for £1.00, I ordered two lots, but only got charged £1.00 so eight packs for £1.00, the bread and roll mix was out of date, but I have never found that a problem it was only £1.00 for 3.5 kg.






£1.99 for a case of six curry kits, each serves 2, contains curry paste, coconut milk and desiccated coconut.



Lots of other bits for stir fry and a couple other curry kits.



2.25 kg Bouillon Mixes, 99p each, the chicken had Jan 2016 date, but the beef had June 2017.
 Oxo veg stock, 75p for a pack of 24.





Some part bake rolls, 99p for three packs of 6, £1.98 for 36 rolls.


Some fruit teas , bagged up in 20's they call these De Identified, so basically you don't know what make it is, I love my fruit teas so I took a chance.

In total I had 80 Blackcurrant, 80 lemon and ginger, 80 Mixed Berry, £3.00 for the lot.

I have just made a cup of the blackcurrant and it is very nice.





This was just a little bit of the order, I had lots for my money.
You have to be careful though as there is also a load of c**p on there.

So do you buy approved foods?




17 comments:

  1. I've read a lot about them. Am I right in thinking they're based up near we are (Sheffield area?) I've never ordered from them. As boring as it sounds, we don't like Indian/Chinese/curries, etc so would never buy anything to do with that. We don't eat much pasta or rice either. Proper meat & 2 veg us!! I might have a look though as I like a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are based at Dinnington on the industrial estate opposite Marquis Caravan place.

      Delete
  2. No sure where they are to be honest, we are mainly meat and veg, but I throw a few things in for a change, it is worth a look for store cupboard staples, I only do a 2 maybe 3 orders a year xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done you have some good bargains there. I haven't bought from them for ages as we have a mill shop about 15 minutes drive away from us that do the same sort of things. I'm still using instant custard Dr otker I bought way back , well out if date but still perfectly good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember you mentioning the mill shop before, that's lucky for you. x

      Delete
  4. Sounds a great idea, I'll have a look :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never bought from them but I've heard lots about them, they seem to have some great bargains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, I do prefer to shop in person rather than online, so I only do this once in a while x

      Delete
  6. There was a tv documentary on about them last year. I've browsed but never ordered. You got a good haul!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of them. I've been looking at some sites though that say properly stored certain foodstuffs have a shelf life years beyond the BBF.
    When I lived on the NATO base in Iceland, it was the job of the base vet {when not taking care of the Shore Patrol canine division} to test all the short and out of date food on sale in the Commissary. We regularly had to buy it or go without. I've eaten salad dressings 6 months + out of date, cheese up to 8 weeks, canned goods and more. It was all fine. He had to cook the stuff as you would in a regular domestic situation and eat it. If he didn't get sick within 48 hours it was put on the shelves greatly reduced. If he got sick, well, who'd have his job?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting, it annoys me when I hear about people throwing things out which are only a few days out of date.

      Delete
  8. oh I love looking at approved foods, the bread mix is like the cake mix I found, i wish the bargain store would sell the bread mix, it would save me even more money lol :) I want to use it but we have to be careful with our budget, and the postage is pretty costly, so we have to make it worth it
    I'm off too have a nosy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sophie I have often started making an order and then abandoned it as I can't find enough to justify postage x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ordered from them once but haven't done so again. I often look but can never find enough stuff I would use to bother doing an order.
    You got a really good haul-x-

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.