Tuesday, 19 January 2016

Yellow Stickers & Frugal Food

Yesterday was hubby's birthday, our son didn't have anything on at Uni so joined us for lunch. We treated ourselves to a nice piece of beef, it was £9.89 that was a big spend for me. But you know me I make the money work and make it stretch.

Our son needed some groceries so we popped up to Asda on the way back.
I tried to find some cheap cream so I could demonstrate the butter churner (sadly didn't find any) but I found this little lot.

Yes I got bread, you know my lovely freecycle bread maker, well it wasn't so good, I wander if the people we got it from knew it had problems, because I made two loaves and the third time I used it it cut all the electric out and started smelling funny, so not very happy about that :-(






We had this fruit for breakfast and finished it off after lunch.

Will be used for bubble and squeak.


These four punnets of  strawberries were turned into jam.





Nothing gets wasted, the plastic packaging will be used in the greenhouse.




Frugal food.

So yesterday it was Roast Beef , I made some extra.
Today is salad I will use the reduced salad and cucumber, then just add red onions, pepper, tomatoes and some shreds of the roast beef.
Tomorrow will be  the leftover Roast.
Thursday will be bubble and squeak, with some rashers of bacon which needed using up and a fried egg on top.

 Also I had a cauliflower  and some tomatoes which needed using up so made a cauliflower cheese and added some of the bacon which needed using up for the freezer.





Cheap tasty simple meals which don't cost much.

23 comments:

  1. we do love a good yellow sticker haul! i've been keeping an eye out for cheap cream for weeks now but our local shops must have a very good stock rotation because i am yet to find that holy grail to turn into butter lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean, when you want it you can't find it.

      Delete
  2. mmm, you will eat well this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very resourceful with your finds. Sorry about your breadmaker, that's a real shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disappointing news with the breadmaker. I use mine a lot but in truth I don't think it works out any cheaper it just tastes better than supermarket bread. Great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great yellow sticker find again and making cheap tasty nutritious meals is even greater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A good haul there, I do like to have a look in the RTC section when ever I am in a supermarket. It is good to see more shopping for a lot less money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic bargains, I like how you plan to use them up too. I currently have a lot of sweet potatoes in the freezer due to one bargain trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no that is so disappointing re your bread maker. You do get some lovely bargains. We have a large joint each Sunday but I always stretch it to three even four meals xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo yes you have to don't you or else it would make the food budget so expensive xx

      Delete
  9. I don't know how you do it! You always find such bargains. Either my supermarkets are rubbish at reducing stuff, or you have a radar on you head!

    Sorry the bread maker wasn't good after all. But with your penchant of rootling out a bargain it doesn't matter! ;o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sadie, I am addicted to bargains and money saving I want my new house in 2 years so that keeps me motivated xx

      Delete
  10. I must start sending hubby on yellow sticker hunts after he finished work. I quite like not knowing what you're going to find.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your strawberry jam is beautiful. I bet it tastes wonderful!

    ReplyDelete