Monday, 11 January 2016

Making the money work harder.

Firstly apologies for the poor quality of my photos, my small camera is worn out and isn't focusing properly. I shall have to stop being lazy and get the big one out, or use my phone.

The next few years here we want to focus on saving as much money as possible,there are blogs who scrimp and save and supposedly go without a holiday, heating, days out, and live a not very exciting existance, well that's not for me,  we probably will have a holiday this year, and a few days out, I will be be hosting a giveaway and a few swaps on the blog, and inbetween we need to look after those pennies.


Today we had to go into the bank, and we spotted a fruit & veg stall.

I got a bag of veg for £2.00


All of these Tomatoes for £1.50
 4 small punnets of Strawberries for £1.00
It was all lovely and fresh, when I see it like this it makes me start to question myself, why do I want to grow my own?
But I still will while we are here and have the greenhouse and a little growing area, might as well make it work, I have thousands of seeds and can still grow things at very little cost.


So before I put this lot away, I had to see what was left in the drawers of the fridge.
Some well past it carrots, a few spring onions, a wrinkly green pepper a little bit of salad, bit of a cabbage, I also found a few sprouting spuds.


There were also a few ends of Cheese in the fridge, then I just added some onions, squirt of tomato puree, and very small pinch of chilli flakes and seasoning.


Boiled it all up.


Gave it a blitz,  we have 3 meals for hubby and myself. I just love soup.



 I had a little taste and it was very nice, one for tommorow and two for the freezer.

I also  had quite a bit of the hugh piece of Brie I got for £1.00 left. It had yesterdays date on it but was still lovely and fresh, but we are a bit fed up with cheese, I had a google and saw that it could be frozen. You have to let it thaw in the fridge, apparently the texture changes a bit, but I will use it for Mac Cheese, and I have a nice Pasta with Brie and Bacon recipe. So that was wrapped and put into the freezer.



Hugh would be proud of me I'm not wasting a thing.

I forgot to say I popped into Poundland and found these.


I love Dahlias, I will start them off in pots, and keep some in pots and then some will go right into the garden.

Imagine how much they would have cost from the garden centre.


So that was a very thrifty start to the week.

34 comments:

  1. you are good with your soup making and freezing cheese. I think I've been better at using up our veggies lately though.

    Lovely to stop by and find two new posts from you, I'm sorry you have to have another scan though :o( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soup, its a good way of getting loads of veg in one hit x

      Delete
  2. Bargain price on the veg, I miss not been able to get fresh produce of the car boot where there are several allotment holders who sell there surplus. The soup looks good. Amazing what you can make for very little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I am looking forward to the carboots again this year, so many bargains here the bootsales are huge x

      Delete
  3. Wonderful bargains. They put my fruit and veg purchases today in Waitrose to shame! Thanks for the tip on freezing Brie! We seldom have much in the way of soft cheese, but I will remember when I've got a large slice that I can freeze some of it.
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just googled it, there are so many things which I would never think about freezing, I prefer fresh but when there is excess I do not like to waste x

      Delete
  4. Hi Marlene, lovely soup and ver satisfying both nutritionally and waste wise. Its lovely going to the freezer to find some lovely frozen surprises inside , readily prepared meals, soups and leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania, I am looking forward to it for tea tonight, with some home made bread and home made butter x

      Delete
  5. The veg was a bargain. I feel as you do with regard to being thrifty. We pay all our bills, eat well and like to save when we can but still enjoy holidays in the UK and other treats now and again. I think if you restrict yourself too much then you lose interest in the thing you're aiming for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with your bargains. Oooooh dahlias! They are on my to-do list for this year to grow. I just love them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Fiona, I love old fashioned garden flowers x

      Delete
  7. Ooh, I love Dahlias too. What a good idea with the soup and who knew about freezing the Brie, excellent start to the year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Cheryl, I am sure the Brie will be fine in a recipe x

      Delete
  8. Very thrifty & I quite agree with you some people take it a little too far when there is not quite that need! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jo, some people (not naming) have these blogs about being frugal, and they are on massive salaries?

      Delete
  9. Nothing nicer than a pile of fresh veggies is there?
    I've been looking at the gardening stuff in Poundland too. They have some nice shrubs. Unfortunately dahlias don't do very well in my garden and I am rubbish at looking after anything in pots so I will have to pass on them even though I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila, I always check out Poundland they have some good stuff sometimes x

      Delete
  10. You can't beat digging up fresh veg and cooking it, the taste the best and the feeling of achievement unbeatable. Like you we want to save more this year, but not at a cost of having no real life, I would rather work an extra year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still want to grow my own, so satisfying when you can just walk out the back door and pick something.

      Delete
  11. That veg. looks so fresh and delicious. Sorry to hear about your back, let's hope you can get it sorted ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's just another thing to keep me awake at night.

      Delete
  12. I agree, being frugal doesn't mean having to go without, it just means that you make your money go further and make it work for you. I don't think that growing your own necessarily saves you money, but I do think that some things taste so much nicer when they're homegrown and you know for sure that they haven't been sprayed or soaked in chemicals. You do really well with the veg you buy, you get some great bargains and they always look lovely and fresh. I never really make soup, it's something we don't eat very often and when we do, it's usually Heinz tomato, but it's a great way to use up leftover veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, yes that is the thing about growing, no chemicals x

      Delete
  13. Drop me an email at marlenejjones@gmail.com ref the dolls house stuff, I have a few hand made rugs if you want them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene, thankyou so much, I have emailed you x

      Delete
  14. Your vegetables look lovely and when you can buy it cheap like that I agree with your reason why grow. I started growing my own vegetables for the first time last year and it gave me such a huge sense of satisfaction but the layout of buying the seeds wasn't cheap that's for sure. Your soup looks lovely and a great way to using up left over veg :-) dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, I have been given lots and then I got some from a charity shop 10p a packet, so I can still grow for very little and will be xx

      Delete
  15. Goodness all of that for £2! I quite agree with you, it's all about managing your money and making use of what you have, we live fairly well because we are both bargain hunters, and my hubby is a chef so he knows how to budget and plan meals, and improvise. We will be having a few days out here and there once we start saving up for it, which will hopefully be soon haha :)
    We may not have a lot of money but we don't have any debts :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya, you are doing very well, bargain hunting is a way of life for us now as well xx

      Delete
  16. That veg looks gorgeous and a bargain to boot but you simply can't beat the taste of freshly picked so carry on growing! You are good at it! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was Pam in Wales who got me freezing cheese! I never throw it away now!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.