Saturday, 30 January 2016

Flapjacks, Fat Rascals and Fairy Lights

I have cut right down on the baking now our son is not here, we tend to eat sensibly in the week and not eat to much sweet stuff,  we  have a treat at the weekends in the form of my baking. 
My hubby is the sort of man who likes traditional old fashioned  simple food, although he is regularly a guinea pig, he likes things like roast dinners, cottage pies etc. With the baking as well simple things like scones, fruit cake.

Today I just made two bakes which I make frequently, simple and cheap to make, no fancy ingredients.


FAT RASCALS - These are like a cross between a scone and rock cake.

8 oz  (225g) Self Raising Flour
4 oz  (110g) Butter
1 oz  (25g)   Caster Sugar
2 oz  ( 60g)  Currants
A pinch of Salt
5 Tablespoons of Milk
Extra sugar for sprinkling.


Preheat the ove to 190 c or equivalent.

Rub the butter into the flour and salt.
Add the sugar and currants, then add enough milk to make a soft dough.


Roll into balls and then slightly flatten .


Sprinkle with  the extra sugar and then bake for around 15 -20 mins, until lightly golden.





Hubby just came in for morning coffee when they came out the oven, he couldn't resist, but neither could I.


Then I made our favourite Flapjacks.

FLAPJACKS

140g (5oz) Oats
140g (5oz) Demerara Sugar
140g (5oz) Butter
Desiccated Coconut - 3 heaped Tbsp
Vanilla Extract - 1 Tbsp


Preheat the oven to 190 c or equivalent.
Melt the butter in a saucepan on a low heat, then add the sugar, oats, and vanilla extract, mix well , then mix in the coconut and mix again.
Put into greased tin and bake for around 20 mins or until golden.
After taken out of the oven mark into squares and then allow to cool in the tin.



So two simple and cheap bakes.
I shall take a few of each up to our son later I am sure he will appreciate them.


Here are the fairy lights I just purchased from Ebay.

They came from China, they were a bargain , the winning bid was 1p, yes 1p and then £3.23 for postage.
I am going to get some different sorts as well. I shall put them on when is dull and getting dark with the tea lights, very Nigella.


I took this one last night.



Whilst writing this the postman has just been.
Marlene (yes same name as me) from poppypatchwork.blogspot.co.uk very kindly sent me these for my dolls house project with a lovely card.



Thankyou very much Marlene, they are lovely, very kind of you.

I regard all bloggers as my friends, kind and lovely people.

Also Mr Postman bought me another book from Amazon, this was again 1p with £2.80 postage.

I don't know how the sellers make any money.
But I am not complaining another bargain book for me.



Enjoy your weekend.

20 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the Fat Rascals recipe. We've eaten them at Betty's in North Yorkshire - now I can make our own. The fairy lights look great, and what a bargain. They make all the difference at this time of year.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, they are so easy to make, yes the lights do make a difference x

      Delete
  2. Love the idea of fat rascals, must try them. I used to have a cookery book from school but I've lost it. It had some lovely cake & biscuit recipies in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the simple recipes are always the best x

      Delete
  3. Great bargains there. Your recipes are going into my recipe collection right now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Mum, I make them over and over again xx

      Delete
  4. oooh it's been forever since i've made fat rascals! i shall make some tomorrow :)
    i used to have a recipe card box full to the brim of Marguerite Pattens recipes but they got lost in the move :( some were a little old fashioned but there ere plenty that i loved :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think with all cook books there are always things you make and things you won't xx

      Delete
  5. Glad you like the rugs, I did not make the table cloth. Love your bakes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those bakes look yummy. Flapjacks are one of my favourites :) I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress on the dolls houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not remember the last time that I made Fat Rascals but tomorrow will be the next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know what all six have gone now, hubby and I had one each this morning and another each for tea, and I took a couple up to son at uni xx

      Delete
  8. I have that book! I love a bargain! I like fat rascals v much. My HG doesn't like currants, so I put glacé cherries in his. Here from Mum's blog. Think I'll stay! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. life is so much better with the addition of fairy lights. As I like to say, Fairy lights are for life, not just for Christmas :O

    All you home baked treats look so good
    :O) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The lights look great and the little rugs are so sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou I have already ordered some other ones xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.