Tuesday, 15 December 2015

Welcome to my new follower Frugal Fingers.

Today I made my Make-ahead red cabbage, ready for the big day.


Ingredients

2 tbsp Olive Oil
Large knob of Butter
600g Red Cabbage Shredded
1 Onion finely diced
3 eating Apples, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tbsp of Soft Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon of Nutmeg
1 tsp of Cinnamon
150 ml Red Wine Vinegar
3 tbsp of Redcurrant Jelly



You will need a large saucepan with a lid.

Heat the butter and oil in the saucepan, gently fry the onions until softened.
Stir in the spices.
Add the Red Cabbage and fry for around 4 mins, stirring occasionally.

Next stir in the sugar, add the Apples and the Red Wine Vinegar. 
Cover and gently cook for 30 minutes.

Add the Redcurrant Jelly and cook for a further 10 mins.


This can be made a few days before or can be frozen.

Just needs re- heating gently, in a saucepan.

This will make around 6-8 portions, as there is only the three divided into two tubs.

Really nice.





8 comments:

  1. I love red cabbage, both in a slaw and cooked, it will be on my plate over the festivities for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourites. I love that it makes a good quantity and freezes really well. Recently, because of a 'vinegar intolerant' in the house I've taken to using apple juice instead of vinegar. Bon Appetite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does freeze well, apple juice is a good idea, vinegar in some things can be very harsh, I rarely use malt vinegar.

      Delete
  3. Marlene, that sounds wonderful, my sort of food for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it the same time as I was cooking the tea, it was difficult not to eat it there and then , x

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the welcome, it's great to be here!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.