Monday, 9 November 2015

Waste not Want Not

On Sunday we had Roast chicken with roast potatoes and I did a  tray of roasted veg for a change.



The leftover meat will make Chicken Salad for tea tonight.


Most people wouldn't think twice about throwing the carcass and leftover veg into the bin, but not me.

 The carcass was placed in the slow cooker along with onion, a few carrots, bayleaves, and seasoning and left to bubble away for several hours.


Some nice chicken stock, for the freezer





 I whizzed up the left over potatoes and roasted vegetables with some good quality vegetable stock and the result was this lovely thick soup, I had a little taste and I was well impressed, really tasty, this is going in the freezer.







We had Eton Mess for dessert as I had some reduced meringues to use up, they came in a huge plastic box.

Even this won't go to waste it will be used in the greenhouse as a mini propagtor.



Nothing gets wasted here, looking forward to Hugh's War on Waste tonight.

Also this morning I made some toffee vodka, I had a bottle lurking from one our previous trips abroad, I usually make fruit vodkas or Limoncello, but I have been meaning to try this for a while.



Just smash up the Toffees and add the Vodka, shake well, the Toffees should eventually dissolve.

13 comments:

  1. Exactly what I would have done :-)

    I would never have thought of Toffee Vodka though ... genius!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue I only heard it mentioned on Gogglebox ages ago, thought it would be a nice change.

      Delete
  2. My vodka is all ready so its been bottled up. I think I'm going to have to make more! Soup is so simple and nutritious. The carcass has so much flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, I have just checked it the toffees have dissolved already, does yours look cloudy, will it clear ?

      More soups on the menu in future, like you say simple and nutritious and costs very little.

      Delete
    2. I understand it stays cloudy .... a thin version if Baileys. You shake it before serving. It is really nice. You get the heat of the vodka followed by the toffee taste.

      Delete
  3. Roasted veg are a favourite in this house, but however large a quantity I make (with left-overs in mind) they all disappear! Must be doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always do loads, so everyone can decide how much or little they want, I never deprive anyone of food, x

      Delete
  4. I never realised toffee vodka would be so easy to make. I bought a bottle of it last year from the Vom Fasse shop in York. It was named "Thunder" and it was quite expensive as you but the bottle, cork , etc before your bottle's filled with whatever you choose. I don't like vodka usually but the toffee one was delicious. I might have a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's so easy, a nice winter warmer x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's what we do too, 1 chicken normally lasts us for 2-3 more meals as well as the roast then the carcass makes stock. I have a full drawer in the freezer of vegetable scraps ready to be made into stock, and then they go on the compost, as i separate them in a muslin bag from the bones etc
    Making me hungry now lol :)
    i must remember to save those plastic boxes with the lid xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done you all these little thong things help save the pennies, xx

      Delete