Thursday, 5 November 2015

My War on Waste and a bit of Money Saving

There have been lots of people mentioning Hugh's War on Waste programme, which was really good and I hope it will make people stop and think.

I can't abide waste, I like to recycle and reuse whatever I can and certainly don't throw food away.


This week....

Leftover veg from the family roast



Made into a delicious cheese and vegetable quiche.



Bread bags to be used as freezer bags.



I always keep any tubs to use or trays to reuse for the freezer.



Bread is never wasted, I put bread crumbs in the freezer, or make bread and butter pudding or some croutons.


An old towel cut up for cleaning cloths which can be washed and re used.



If people where to do more of these very simple things they could save lots more money and help the enviroment.



A bit of money saving this week.

I make jams, marmalades and chutneys but not always, I found this Mango Chutney in B & M they usually have it for 59p which is cheap anyway but it was 39p this week, the cheapest I have seen it in supermarkets is £1.00.

So a good deal.





A few brand swaps.


The dishwasher tablets on the left cost me £8.00 when they were on a half price offer for 56, the ones on the right from Aldi for 50 are usually £2.69, but when we popped in on Sunday they were £2.59, what a huge saving, and they work absolutely fine.




Now apart from towels and bedding most things get washed on a quick wash cycle, if there are any stains I soak in a bucket overnight.
The Vanish cost me £5.99 and works brilliantly,the one on the left came from Poundland, I have used it and it works fine, and you get more and it is such a big saving.





I will be looking into more brand swaps now.

16 comments:

  1. I gave up buying brands years ago, I started when I took a friend shopping and there were no brands in the shop. I never went back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try anything once but I don't see the point of eating things for example just because they are cheaper if you don't like them.

      Delete
  2. Brilliant post. I don't do brands either. Aldi and the local greengrocer has my custom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have only recently started using Aldi, so much cheaper.

      Delete
  3. oh that programme really got me mad, the amount of waste was astounding!! grr haha
    we reuse everything in the house that can be re used i have a suitcase full of fabric scraps (will probably never be used but nice to know i have them lol) we have a full cupboard of margarine tubs to use for biscuits and veg leftovers in the freezer, lots of empty jars or jams etc :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, you never know when you might need them x

      Delete
  4. I agree - we all need to do our bit to stop waste. I don't care about brands on then ole but sometimes then branded goods just taste better. Heinz beans being my prime example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same with ketchup it has to be Heinz, I do try things though, but if you don't enjoy it whats the point eating it x

      Delete
  5. We'll try most things (even if it's just the once!!). However I can only buy Heinz beans and Heinz ketchup. Tried tricking them all but it never works!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I've tried that before as well, x

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't like Heinz beans too sweet I prefer Branston. But like you we will try most things. All our old t-shirts, tea towels, and bedding is used as dust sheets or cleaning rags. We have very little waste. And if I had a real fire we would have even less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Branston ones, hubby has lots of old bedding, towels and clothes in the shed all cut up ready for cleaning jobs, the wheelie bin has very little rubbish in it these days it has gone from being crammed (years ago) to less than half full, so we must be doing something right.

      Delete
  8. Yes the Poundland stain remover seems to work just as well, and such a saving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be looking into more brand swaps anything to save those pennies x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not known for my frugality, but I like a bargain just as anyone else does - I recycle plastic bags for waste, old cotton pants (that's underwear to any Americans reading this, not outerwear) become dusters and then when past being dusters, they go to the garage for paint or cleaning-the-car rags, and so forth. I spend frivolously, some might think, on flowers, perfume, books, good writing paper, notebooks, greetings cards, fine soap, because I buy basic cleaning things and I only shop when I actually need something, not want something (although, to be contradictory, wanting perfume isn't quite the same as needing it, for no one needs it!) So I was truly amazed when I worked out that my Lidl dishwasher taps work out cheaper than your Aldi ones! I bought a pack of 60 Classic tabs for £2.99. That sounds like it should be more expensive than yours per tab, but if you divide the £3.00 (i.e. 300) by 60 it works out at 5p per tab, and if you divide your £2.59 (259) by 50 they work out at 5.18p per tab. I must becoming frugal, tee-hee!
    I have never been inside Poundland. I have never attended a car boot sale. But I have had some wonderful bargains in a charity shop in our area (I only go in there when taking something in, rather than buying something, but I then have a quick look and have recently found a pure silk, rolled-edge Jaeger silk square for £7, a Jane Shilton leather bag (new, and still fashionable) for £12 and several lovely bead necklaces for £4.50 each. Also two lovely wicker picnic hampers which are now extra storeage on top of a wardrobe (again, tres chic, a la mode!) and they were £15. My secret is only to shop when things are needed and to buy the very best of anything I can afford. I make all our own soups, it's donkey's year since I bought canned soup (or carton soup, even an up-market brand), and pizzas just don't enter our house. Indeed, I don't by any convenience food at all, save cans of beans (haricot, butter, cannellini, etc, and of course baked beans which are an excellent supper dish.) Oh, and like you, old towels are cut up for cleaning cloths. However, I have recently splashed out on a Housekeeper's Box which is a very smart way of carting my cleaning things around the house! It's very 'Downton' now in our household!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete