Sunday, 22 November 2015

Hope you are all keeping well and warm.

It has been icy cold here, I have spent most of the weekend inside in the warm, but even though it was bitter cold I fancied some fresh air, hubby thought I was bonkers, so I decided to spend an hour in the garden just weeding and tidying up.

I cut back all the Begonias and removed the tubers so they don't rot away, they are in the shed for the winter.


 The turnips are doing well.



Brocolli is appearing, this is tenderstem brocolli.


The Cabbages have been under attack, some are ok though.


Found the culprit, but on further inspection there were a few, hope I have removed them all.




Spinach


Spring Onions.




Carrots




The ones I planted much later in the old chimney pots in the greenhouse are doing much better.




We have eaten lots of Lettuce, it is at different stages, when I pull one out I replace it.



Radishes








Must cut this Mint back and make some Mint Sauce

Bulbs are appearing, this is the Hyacinth Planter I planted to bring indoors, I love the fragrant smell of the Hyacinth.



Well you know I am getting frustrated with the lack of birds in the garden, we were in the kitchen today and saw the Robin land on the table, I was so pleased. Hopefully he will come back with a few more friends.

The below picture was taken a few weeks ago.



I bought a newspaper today the first time in years.

Time to relax and  warm up now.





16 comments:

  1. I hate cold weather, it's taken me all day today just to warm up a bit. Your garden looks to be doing really well but caterpillars at this time of year? Goes to show what a mild autumn we've had so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Hubby couldn't believe when I said I found them.

      Delete
  2. Very cold up here in Nottinghamshire. Very disappointed today as my nasturtiums had been having a second burst of growth and today they're as flat as pancakes! We've been spoilt with mild weather up to now and its confused everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your right, Winter is well and truly here now, stay warm.

      Delete
  3. Ruddy caterpillars demolished all my greens in August when I was away. I'm definitely going to grow them under mesh next year. I must take some photos of the greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meant to say you're doing marvelously. Its very rewarding.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tania, we have had them covered in mesh, so the butterflies might have laid before we put the mesh on.

      Delete
    3. I used old net curtains to cover my greens, with the tiniest of holes, but the beggers still got in :o( I give up.

      Delete
    4. Hi Ilona thanks for popping by, pesky little beggers they always find a way don't they.

      Delete
  4. I am very impressed with your growing skills! Everything looks very healthy but drat those pesky caterpillars :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie hope you are well, hopefully there might be something left for us to eat.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Marlene, I'm starting to feel a bit better now x

      Delete
  5. Lovely looking veg. I used a mosquito net that I bought at a boot sale to cover my cabbages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your garden is looking good, that spinach particularly looks so nice. cheeky caterpillars! will you share your mint sauce recipe when you make it? Never made it myself and would rather like to give it a go.

    tea & biccies looked scrummy. I know what you mean about getting out in the fresh air, even if it's cold.I get like that too. Have to get outside, or have all my windows open. Bill and Violet often moan about me for doing that, but I like a bit of crisp fresh air in the house! :O) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes of course, will be later on in the week, I went out this morning it was freezing but it was nice to breath in the crisp fresh air.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.