Thursday, 26 November 2015

Cornish Pasties

Hubby loves a pasty, he usually has one when we pop out for the day and always ends up disappointed , even when we had our trip for my birthday to Cornwall, we had a pasty and came away disappointed, obviously there are some people out there who make them properly but most of the time when you buy a pasty it is full of mush.

So tonight I made him some proper Cornish Pasties.

I do not enjoy making pastry from scratch, so if I find some in the reduced section of the Supermarket I buy it, but I didn't have any so I made it from scratch.

For the Pastry.

450g Plain Flour
115g Lard
75 g Unsalted Butter
100ml cold water.
I egg

For the Filling

120g Swede
1 Large Potato
1 Large Onion
400g Beef Skirt
50g Butter
Salt and Pepper.

This made 6 standard size pasties, but I made 4 and 1 extra large one for hubby.

1 each for tea, and the rest for the freezer.

The Results - One very happy husband.






14 comments:

  1. My hubby loves pasties. We've only ever found the best ones in Cornwall. You're right in that a lot of the shop bought ones are just filled with "mush". Yours look delicious. I get so many ideas from various blogs I can't decide what to make first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes I know what you mean, I have a list of recipes from blogs.

      Delete
  2. That pasty looks amazing and I'm sure it tasted just as good as it looks :) I'm quite envious of your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a smaller size one it was much better than anything I have bought x

      Delete
  3. The filling is what makes it Cornish, or so my cousin tells me. No carrots or peas in a proper one. It looks amazingly good. I don't make my veggie version nearly often enough and now I want one. NOW!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big pastry lover, but I had a small one and it was delicious x

      Delete
  4. That does look good. I like a pasty but I've never tried making my own. You have inspired me to give it a go. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. It looks delicious. I usually buy frozen pastry, it's something I hate making from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I might start doing that it is a lot cheaper.

      Delete
  6. I thought I had better come over and check them out :) Looks good, you really can't beat home made pasties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chickpea, home made is always nicest x

      Delete
  7. oh that looks so good. What a whopper! I want one now. The best pasty I've ever had was from a place in Padstow, and it was beef & stilton. mmmm. Your pastry looks so good.

    Your black Friday post made me smile. We went into town yesterday, I don't think any of the shops we chose to shop at were taking part in BF - good, because I was avoiding it - Debenhams was heaving, but other than that, it wasn't any busier than normal. A lot of hype about nothing if you ask me.

    Happy weekend :O) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sadie, I might do some beef and stilton next time, yes I don't think BF was so bad this year, but your right lot of hype xx

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.