Wednesday, 25 November 2015

A few days ago another lovely blogger Sadie asked me how I make my Mint Sauce.

Some people use Malt Vinegar but I find it to strong for me, so I use either Apple Cider Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar.




When my planter is full of Mint I cut it right back, because it grows back very quickly.


Wash the Mint and dry with some kitchen towel.

For every 50g Mint, I use 100ml of White Wine Vinegar and 100g of Granulated Sugar.



Sprinkle the Mint leaves with some table salt, and finely chop.



Put the White Wine Vinegar in a pan with the sugar and gently heat until the sugar is dissolved.

Then add everything to the sterilised jar and give a good shake.




The amount is enough for a small jar.

Yes it might be cheaper to buy it, but it's not always about the cheapest, its about taste and knowing what is in that jar.

Hope this helps Sadie x

10 comments:

  1. Ooh it brings back memories of my "O" level cookery. We had to show 4 methods so I made mint sauce as one method (plus pineapple upside down cake, flaky pastry lamb pasties and I think the 4th one was cream horns)! God what a combination! I passed it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to love the cookery lessons at school, they called it Home Economics then.

      Delete
    2. As you say its always great to know exactly what's in something.

      Delete
    3. I try to be really good now, it is hard as there are additives in most shop brought things .

      Delete
  2. I haven't had mint sauce in years. This immediately transported me back decades to the kitchen watching my Nanna make it fresh every Sunday dinner if there was lamb. Can't beat fresh mint sauce! Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so nice to go into the garden and pick your own to make some.

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love mint sauce, I have it with any meat, not just lamb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, I don't see why not, that is a good idea.

      Delete
  4. ooh, thank you! That sounds nice and easy, I think even I could make it. I shall have to give it a go. Thanks for taking time to write this and take pics, much appreciated :O) x

    ReplyDelete