Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Lemon Marmalade

When I make Marmalade I am very lazy I buy the tins of Ma Made Prepared Oranges & Lemons. They are usually around £1.99/£2.00 in the supermarkets. You just add add water and sugar to it to make your marmalade.

I am down to my last jar of the Lemon which I made in 2013, I searched in all the supermarkets and they only seem to do the orange one now, but you can get the Lemon in Lakeland and it is £3.48 a tin, so I thought I would have a go at making some from scratch.

The recipe I used requires

1kg of unwaxed lemons
2kg granulated sugar

My lemons came in under 1 kg so I adjusted the recipe accordingly.
But I have written it out for a 1kg if you want to make it.

I had a couple pieces of stem ginger is syrup left so I decided I would use this in the recipe, not sure whether it will come through.





Wash the lemons and remove the ends I kept the bits to go in the muslin with the pips later.




Place 2.5 litres of water in a pan with the lemons.


 Bring to the boil and leave on a gentle simmer for around 2 hours until they are soft.


 Remove the lemons from the water, but keep the water for later.
When cool enough to handle cut them in half.


Cut into thin or thick strips which ever you prefer.
Put the pips in the muslin bag with the ends from earlier.




You will now only need 1.5 litres of the water from earlier, if you haven't got enough just add some more water, or if you have to much reduce it down.

I then added the lemons back to the water and added the sugar, and the optional stem ginger.



Boil rapidly for about 25 mins,then check the setting point, I put a saucer in the fridge at the start so it is nice and cold. I had to give this another 10 mins.




A lot of work but the result was worth it.

I am not sure why it looks more orange than yellow, I wonder if they use colouring in the supermarket ones?

Five full jars and , one big one for the fridge.

Cost around £4.00 to make all this.


The cheapest one I have seen in the supermarkets is about £1.30.

This works out cheaper and I know exactly whats in it, no nasty additives.






We well test it out for our breakfast tommorow,will let you know the verdict, but the little bit I tested was nice.

Really pleased with my efforts.

18 comments:

  1. You'll love it but as you said you know what's in it and it's all fresh ingredients. Well done. I really need to find sugar at a low low price so I can stock pile it ready for the preserving season. The cheapest I've found is 2kg 99p.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to try it on a piece of toast tommorow, I don't thing you can get it much lower than 99p for 2kg, I need to do the same I am nearly out of sugar now. Let me know if you find it any cheaper.

      Delete
    2. Granulated sugar was 39p for 2lb in Lidl yesterday.

      Delete
    3. That was a really good price.

      Delete
  2. I'm doing lemon marmalade tomorrow but will be cheating with a tin of Mamade Yours looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where did you buy it Sue, I can't find it ?

      Delete
  3. I've often wondered about those tins. That's partly why we make out own isn't it - those nasty additives. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is far to much rubbish in processed foods and tins and jars now.

      Delete
  4. I love marmalade, I do keep some Mamade for the odd times that I run out of "the real stuff" . I think that my last tins came from Sainsburys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I 'cheat' when making my marmelade by using the prepared tins, but I bet yours is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had some this morning it was very nice.

      Delete
  6. I never realised you could make lemon marmalade! Although, I was 30 before I ever tried orange marmalade! It does look very tasty. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cheat and use the tins too, in fact I have never made it from scratch. I should give it a go ... but I'll use the two tins of Mamade in the cupboard up first ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't blame you, it was a lot of work but worth it, when I can get hold of the mamade lemon at the right price I will get some, I might do some orange mamade next time.

      Delete
  8. oohhh I bet your kitchen smelt lovely :-) Enjoy, dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. nothing nicer than the smell of jams and marmalades bubbling away x

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.