Friday, 9 October 2015

When we get into bed at night, hubby always turns his pillow over, he doesn't like sleeping on the embroidery bits on the pillow, so he did this as usual last night and then he said ouch what was that with a few other words which I will not repeat.

He stretched over and put the light on asked me to have a look at his forehead, he said he felt something really sharp, we got out he looked in my magnified mirror and there was a little sore spot, I got back into bed, the quilt was still uncovered on his side, he turned around and said don't move look, look at the size of it, there was a giant house spider in the bed with me, it must have been nearly 3 ins. He quickly found some tissue to remove it.



I read they do bite, and we think that's what it was, I had a more than usual restless night after that.

I have read on a few blogs about putting conkers in the house to deter them, I looked it up on the internet, and apparently they give out a chemical which deters it.

Remember in my post at the start of the week, about how I went out the front to clear them up.



Well this time I filled up a small bowl and will be placing them around the bungalow. 
Lets hope it works.





12 comments:

  1. The conkers don't work. I've had a fresh batch out here since last week and we've had more spiders in the house since than before :o( Possibly you need to split them open to release the chemical? Worth a try maybe? I would have HATED having that spider in the bed. You were very brave! I've know people have golf ball size swellings from house spider bites before. This autumn does seem particularly bad for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, I will get hubby to smash them up a bit, thanks for the advice. x

      Delete
  2. I have been terrified of spiders from about age 3! The smaller ones don't bother me, I.e. up to a 2p coin size, anything bigger and I turn into a hysterical wreck. I watched a phobia tv programme and apparently we should all imagine them wearing hats (of all things!) and this will help us with our fear. Spiders are the only insect or animal that I'm petrified of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind as long as they are not near me, last night was awful x

      Delete
  3. These spiders are monster size. I found one in bed with me the other week - it took all my self control not to swear/scream or stamp on it, but I scooped it up in a container and chucked it out on the street. I try very hard not to show fear of them in front of the children, but these huge ones we testing my resolve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seen to be getting bigger, unless I am getting more afraid of them. x

      Delete
  4. We don't get very big spiders here, not that I've seen anyway. Years ago we were on vacation in Hawaii and there was a huge spider? in the shower. When I pulled back the covers on the bed there was a salamander on the sheets-about 6". I almost had a heart attack!! Believe me when I say I checked the bed very carefully every night after that. We didn't have any more in the bed but they would run along the ceiling and go in the air vents! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, I will be taking a good look before we get in tonight x

      Delete
  5. I tried the conkers. They don't work. I'm now trying some spray stuff from Lakeland and that doesn't work either, not totally, although it has deterred all but the biggest ones. Ask me, I think they are getting bigger too and I'm not the only one who says this. Thank goodness 'spider season' is nearly at a close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deborah, others have told me it doesn't work either, I yes I think they are getting bigger.

      Delete
  6. WE've been lucky over the last few years managing only to get the really fine spiders in the house. A friend of mine was bitten on the face and was very ill. She even had to go to the London Tropical disease dept in a hospital in London to teat what it was. It was never 100% identified. She was off work for over a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been hoovering all the nooks and crannies, and hubby is filling in any cracks.

      Delete

Thankyou for taking the time to comment I love to read your messages, thoughts and ideas.

Please do not leave comments with links attached, comments are moderated and spam does not get published.