Saturday, 17 October 2015

And Bake...........




Baking for the Weekend.

Our son came home for Afternoon Tea and is staying over and having lunch tommorow, so time to bake.

From Paul Hollywood's book.




Shrewsbury Biscuits.




Really nice biscuits, really buttery and light.









The pears I bought from last weeks boot sale were still a bit firm so I thought I would put them in a cake.



Pear & Almond Cake.

4 Pears
250 g Unsalted Butter
300 g Caster Sugar
3 large eggs
300g Self Raising Flour
50g Ground Almonds
1 tsp Almond Essence
Almonds for sprinkling on top.

Preheat the oven to 180 or equivalent.

Peel & chop pears and put in the bottom of your baking tin.

Cream the butter and sugar, beat in the eggs, mix in the flour, ground almonds and almond essence.
Spoon the cake mix over the pears then sprinkle with almonds.
Bake for 40-45 mins.








Can be eaten as it is, hot or cold, or with some cream.
A nice simple cake.



I have never made scones with buttermilk so I thought I would have a go.

Buttermilk Scones.

225g (8oz) Plain Flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
45g (1 1/2 oz) Unsalted Butter
1 tbsp of Caster Sugar
185 ml Buttermilk (approx)
Milk for glazing

Preheat the oven to 180 fan or equivalent.

Sift the flour and bicarb in a bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
Make a well in the centre and add the sugar and enough buttermilk to make a soft, but not sticky dough.

Roll out and cut to 1.5 cm, brush the tops with milk.

Bake for about 10 mins until well risen and lightly browned.






Served with some homemade Strawberry Jam & Clotted Cream.

These were really nice, lovely texture so light.














Delicious !

9 comments:

  1. No wonder your son comes home on weekends, I'm quite tempted to turn up myself with all that delicious baking on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo has taken the words out of my mouth. I was going to ask where you lived, I'll be along as soon as I can. Ha ha. Beautiful looking scones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be welcome to, they were the best ones I have ever made x

      Delete
  3. oohhh I love shrewsbury biscuits, we used to call them fly swatters at school haha :)
    everything looks delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya thankyou, I have heard of fly biscuits.x

      Delete
  4. Delicious looking baking. Your son is very lucky. It's always nicer when you're baking for someone special. I always joke that I'm stirring in the love, that's the secret ingredient. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy baking, mine never looks as good as yours. Add one more place at the table please!...lol...

    ReplyDelete