Sunday, 13 September 2015

Welcome to my new followers My Empire of Dirt & Janice.

I have decided to set myself a new challenge, I have always started grocery shopping challenges before and given up on them.

But we need to save more so we can achieve what we want to in three years time when we move from here. My blog isn't going to be all about scrimping away, my new furniture is coming this week and then we are done with "Big" spending, and need & want to live a more simple and frugal life, but that doesn't mean going without a holiday or a few days out here and there, after all life's about having fun and enjoyment, we just need to make our money work more and go further.

Our son is moving into his student accomodation next Friday, then it will be just the two off us most of the time. Our son will only be about 10 minutes away and will still pop home for an odd meal or Sunday Roast if he wants to, but I know he is keen to be independent.

So I am going to start my new challenge from 1st October, I want to spend no more than £100 a month on food, toiletries and cleaning & laundry products. 


I will have a good start as the freezer is still full, and having plenty of toiletries and cleaning products.
I have been inspired by other blogs like ournewlifeinthecountry.blogspot.co.uk Sue did the 365 days £365 challenge,and is thinking about a new challenge for next year, getting the grocery shopping as low as possible so her and hubby can pay off the mortgage so he can retire and they can work on the smallholding together. Sue is very inspirational, I am busy reading her blogs at the moment to give me some ideas.

We are meat eaters, and also eat alot of veg , fruit and salad, which can be expensive in the supermarket.

So this is how we are going to do it.

Go to the supermarket at least everyother day looking for the yellow stickers - this won't be a problem as all the meat in the freezer we have bought since we got here has been reduced.

Grow some fruit, veg and salad. - This obviously will take a while as I have just started.

Eat more soups.

Batch Cook.

Not waste a single thing.

Any free samples and vouchers I get will not count,they will just be a bonus.



This is going to be tough  not sure if it can be done?


Do you think this is possible?

I am going to give a damn good try.










18 comments:

  1. Look forward to hearing how you get on with new challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane thanks for following, it's going to be tough xx

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing how you get on with your challenge and to being inspired. 100 pounds seems a very small amount even for 2 people although being subsidized by food you already have makes it possible. Wishing you success in your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be hard as it is half our usual spend.

      Delete
  3. Good luck - I know we couldn't do it -( although when we move from here and no longer have free heat and hot water we might have to!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your challenge Marlene, I'm sure you can do it as you are very resourceful. For some reason I keep losing your blog :-( I don't know what has happened or what's different but you no longer show up in my reading list. I look forward to reading about how you tackle your challenge x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Angie, I thought if I commited myself to doing it on the blog I might be more likely to stick to it, I find blogger does funny things sometimes? x

      Delete
  5. Good luck, I'm sure it's entirely possible - hard work but worthwhile x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo I will be thinking of the bigger picture to help me along.x

      Delete
  6. Just wondering if you've seen the recent series "Eat Well For Less"? Not that I think it would be much help because I think you are already well on your way, but even so it might be worth a peek to see how others meet the challenge too.
    I wish I lived nearer better shops and markets to enable me to join you, but I'm afraid I don't. Good luck, Marlene, I know you'll succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah, yes I have been watching that programme, but it annoys me as they are really high spenders, being in a big town does have its advantages, we use to travel 25 miles to the supermarkets, we are loving it here in Cheltenham, so I don't know where we'll end up, but we have something to work for and hopefully we will get there in the end x

      Delete
  7. Good luck. Even if you don't quite manage it, you'll save money by giving it a good go. You can pick up some great bargains with yellow stickers, it's the first cabinet I look in when we go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Jo, hubby and I split up, I go for the fruit, veg and salad, he goes for the meat ( as there is more of a scrum sometimes) then we do the bakery together and then there are some odd shelves with discontinued end of line bits.

      Delete
  8. Ingenuity sets in when your budget is limited. You invent meals from nothing. Most if mine are successful but some are a failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right,I'm use to having to much choice.

      Delete
  9. It's definitely doable. My grocery budget ( food, toiletries, loo roll etc) has been £100 for the last 3 years and 8 months. For 12 months of that I was feeding and keeping clean 4 adults. Now it's just 2 of us most of the time so it's much easier. We don't have a car so regular shopping for yellow stickers is impossible ( it would cost me more in bus fares than I would save), but we grow quite a lot of our own fruit and veg ( we have an allotment and dug up our front garden to grow veg), and we don't eat meat, fish or dairy, though the almond milk we use is a lot more expensive than cow's milk at 1.59 per litre!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet it's good to know, I thought I might be pushing it to far but I want to keep to it if I can do it.

      Delete